Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Critical Items for first time Kayak Fishing - or anytime for that matter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Critical Items for first time Kayak Fishing - or anytime for that matter?

Can you seasoned yak fishers identify a list of your top 10 or 15 critical must have items for a day out on the water fishing?
    I'd like to develop a nice list so that I can see what items I'm missing and what items I still "Must Have" before venturing out. If you have some other items that are nice to have or optional that would be ok too if they are identified as such.

Thanks
    Don Haller
    Chesapeake Beach, MD
    Blaze Orange, Jackson Kayak "Cuda 14"

“There can’t be good living, where there is not good drinking.”
    – Benjamin Franklin

PFD, whistle, water, seat, paddle, knife, sun protection. 360 light at night.

Everything else is pretty much optional. If you are safety conscious a VHF and a waterproof box for your cell are good to have. Check the threads on here (once the search index is rebuilt) for what to wear when it gets cold.

Other things I think are essential to me but not to everyone- granola bars or powerbars, floating lip gripper, stringer, scissors, rod leash, and super glue.
    Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
    Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
    https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

Safety is the most important issue. PFD. A whistle or horn to attract attention. This time of year be aware of the sun and heat. Sunscreen. A hat, preferably with a wide brim. Sunglasses. Water to drink. Always watch the weather, as thunderstorms can pose a problem. A NOAA weather radio or a weather app for your phone is a good idea.

I also carry a dry bag, knife, and insect repellent.

As far as fishing gear, it's pretty much up to you.
      Chesapeake Fish and Beer

Comment

Guy who invented the Fish Grip deserves a Nobel Prize. Knife and a GOOD set of pliers. I've have my fair share of mishaps because I either forgot pliers or knife or both. If you're like a redfish12 a sports cup for your crotch might come in handy for when those little toothy blues fly off the hook and head straight for your good bits.
        www.anglerswithoutborders.com
        Travel. Explore. Fish.

Comment

Haha no kidding man, might as well be a bullseye! My girly man scream really gets a lot of use.
          Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
          Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
          https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

To add onto what was already said, use rod leashes for your rods, paddle leash for your paddle, and try to strap down what you can so when you do fall out (not if, but when) your losses will be minimal.
            2010 Hobie Revolution 13

Comment

Working...
            X