Fishing Spots for Windy Days

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fishing Spots for Windy Days

I live near Leesburg, VA and I'm looking for a place to fish tomorrow when the wind is 12-20 mph. Am considering launching in the Piscataway or Matawoman Creeks since they look somewhat protected from the wind, but that's a long drive for me. Where would you fish tomorrow to feel safe when the wind is blowing?
    Thanks,
    Bruce

I fished in 40 mph winds twice last year, safely- and caught nice fish- direction is more important than velocity- west winds are one of my favorites- not so with east or northeast- Creeks are always safe bets because you can get around bends to find the lee of the wind...
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Leesylvania and Pohick Bay have creeks that you can run up into to get out of the wind. Plus, there is lots of spatterdock that you can back your yak into to keep from drifting and work the edges of the weedline.

I have several places that I fish regularly that offer protection from wind from different directions. Most reservoirs that I've been to in NoVA don't really have a long enough fetch for big waves to build and have coves that you can duck into to get out of the wind. Planning your trip so that the wind is at your back will make things easier. Incidentally, I haven't caught much in the Occoquan Reservoir system the past few times I've been, so I would recommend going there if you're looking for good fishing.
      Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
      Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

My home waters are the Severn River. From the two main launch spots (Jonas Green and Tucker St) I can reach at least a half dozen mostly-sheltered coves and tidal creeks. Not all sections of those water bodies are fishable under strong wind conditions, but by finding the sheltered sections of shoreline, you can still fish under very windy conditions. Last winter, on back-to-back weeks, I launched at Jonas Green and paddled upstream directly into 2-ft waves for about a mile until I tucked into a creek that held plenty of pickerel. Getting to and from was not fun, but once in the creek, I was able to fish.

If you are paddling in big, closely-spaced waves, you may have to alter your direction. I do not like to paddle in a direction with the waves coming at a 90-deg angle to the bow -- there is too much opportunity for swamping. I tend to "tack" somewhat so that I am facing the waves at no more than 45 deg off the bow. It takes longer to get to your destination when you zig-zag like that, but I believe it is safer.

I tend not to use an anchor very often, but that would be another option to hold you in one position while you fish an area.
        John Veil
        Annapolis
        Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Thanks for the ideas....

Comment

Working...
          X