Time to change lines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time to change lines

My Revo and Curado has Cabela's Ripcord SI braid 20# line. I spooled it on about this time last year- line looks fine, but...when you consider the cost of a fishing trip, new line is cheap- I am re-spooling both reels with fresh line- why take a chance on losing a fish of a lifetime with sun damaged weak line?

How often do you respool your reels?
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

ive had the same fireline on my main spinning reels since 2008 and have no plan on changing it. i did just remove about 50' worth to get to some less used line and over the years, with snaggs and just tying lures, i have less than a full spool. mono i would want to change more often, but i'm not gonna deny many of my conv reels have 3 year old mono that i still use, but i have lost trust in those and will change soon.
    sigpic

Comment

Every time I catch a decent fish, tie on a new leader, or fish a snaggy area, I strip off 10ft, or so, of line before tying on a new leader. For my spinning reels, line lasts 2-2.5 years, more or less. I will say that new braid is way more sensitive than old braid that has frayed slightly, so that alone might make it worth while to change line more frequently. I'm getting ready to reverse the line on one of my baitcasters now.
      Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
      Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

With the super lines, they last in reasonable shape about 5 years. The color may fade, but the line is strong. After a few years, you can simply reverse the line on the spool. The new line at the bottom of the spool is like new line, which will now be on top. This more than justifies the cost of braid. I use mostly Fireline and Powerpro. I am going to give the new Powerpro Slick a try next time I spool up. It does feel much smoother.

I agree with checking the leader after catching a fish. I always run my fingers along the florocarbon leader. If I feel any roughness or chafe, I change out the leader.

Comment

i definitely believe in reversing line to get extra miles. i also use mono backing to reduce braid cost. the one thing i really don't like is spool not being full and that winds up being biggest reason i buy new line and respool.

my insistence on full spool started in bass fishing from casting light lures but wanting distance. i still love the long cast feel of a new spool and now braid reduces the nonsense caused by mono's 'memory' i used to endure. but of course braid has some its own personality defects to deal with,...

Comment

ive been using PP and fireline crystal for years and reverse spools every couple years change mono every year but braid lasts 5. if its looking frayed pull off 10-15' and your good to go

Comment

Working...
            X