First Run

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Run

I finally got some time to take out the new ProAngler, which I bought back in January. Ok, ok, so a lot of time went into rigging and into work this spring. However, I must say it was worth the time and effort. It was a rough day with much wind, so I thought this would be a good test. I did troll two lines, with no fish, but today was not really about fishing. It was more about getting everything adjusted. The Torqueedo works just fine. I got some more speed than with my former trolling motor, topped out at about 5.5mph. Most of the day I was pushing against the wind and chop, so the motor was pushed a bit. That may be the reason that I was not overly impressed with the run time of the battery. I have two more batteries on order, so it was what I expected. However, with better conditions, I expect better run times. I used full throttle to get out to where I start trolling. That really uses up some power. When trolling at 3.3mph the battery drain was much better. Again, with the wind and waves, I had to push the battery in order to maintain trolling speed. All in all it is a great set up.

I did get more contour lines with the Fish N' Chip, than what I had gotten with my 385. Possibly that is due to the larger screen on the 597. I used the down imaging for a while and was not that impressed. The bay is essentially like a flat waste land on the bottom. So the DI was not in its best environment. It is pretty much what I expected. I went back to the older view. I am used to reading the fish and images that way. All in all the 597 CiDI is very nice. However, as with the 385, the 597, with the Fish N' Chip will be great for trolling along contour lines. There is no guess work, you just follow right along the drop off.

The gear track by YakAttack is also very nice. I can get into the kayak and then move front trolling rod holders back to the rear in easy reach. A very nice rig.

With all the talk of through the hull mounting of transducers, I was very happy with Liberator drop down arm for the transducer. It worked great. I had installed it as a temporary set up, until deciding on a permanent mount, but hey, it may now be permanent. Everything worked out great. The ProAngler is a very comfortable boat. There is so much room for tackle, gear and beer. The last two hours, I just floated around Duvall Creek drinking beer. I kind of wished I had taken some bait out with me.

I had installed the bunks that Hobie makes for the Trailex trailer. It made launching and retrieving the boat so much easier, just haul it up.

Anyway, enough about my 3 hour tour. Now that things have been tested, I think tomorrow I am heading out to Harpers Ferry for some smallmouth fishing. I just needed some time to get started. For me fishing the bay is a brief spring event, then some fresh water fishing, some chumming, some crabbing and then the real fishing in the fall. With this little fishing machine, it should be a good year.
    Last edited by DOGFISH; 06-27-2012, 11:16 AM.

hey, by the way drove up and picked up a pompano 120 today, thanks for the intell
    14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
    2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

I know, they are great.

Comment

I was wondering what you were up to, Don. It sounds like a nice set up. Does the Liberator create a lot of drag?
        Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
        Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

No, it really didn't seem to create much drag at all. For now, I am going to stick with the Liberator. At some point I will probably go with a through the scupper set up. For now, I just want to get some fishing time in.

Comment

how long did or would the battery last at 3.3mph? what if it was full throttle the entire trip, how long would it last?
            sigpic

Comment

I went full throttle from the ramp to the #6 marker on the South River, approximately 3/4+ mile. The battery conditions meter went from 99% to 70%. Full throttle eats up power fast. I then trolled at 3.3 for another 4 to 5 miles and returned to the creek with 15% left on the meter. The rough water and wind caused me to push the motor somewhat harder that with typical kayak water. I could tell from the sound of the motor. The Torqeedo makes much more noise than a typical trolling motor. The wind was blowing at 18 and gusting to 25, when I went out according to the NOAA buoy. The only reason I was able to get out was that the wind was blowing across the river. Towards the middle of the river the wind was coming somewhat from the length of the river, WNW, creating white caps. It was rough. One plus is the weight of the battery, 6lbs vs 69 for a deep cycle. A couple extra batteries and I will be able to do my typical trolling trips. The batteries should be here soon. They were on backorder.

Comment

nice Don about time you got back on the water! did you put a rear view mirror on the track?

Comment

LOL! Yes, and proximity alarms.

Comment

Congrats on your first run Don. Hope it's setup just the way you wanted. I went to the dark side and picked up a 2nd yak, Banana Pro Angler for fishing the salt.

Haven't been in either of them in 2 months!!

Best of luck

Comment

Dogfish

Where did you get the Hobie trailer bunks? I was unable to find anything like that in their accessory section. I am using a small roller trailer that was designed for an 18 or 19 foot boat. I would like to make it more purpose suited to the angler. I was actually hoping to widen the support area so that it would fit two kayaks.

Did you use the Evolve motor or the Torqueedo? I know they're both made byTorqueedo. I was interested in getting one stern mounted rather than going through the Mirage Drive slot. It is my understanding that the Evolve cannot be rear mounted on the Angler Pro. Is that?

FYI, I did get with a through the hull transducer for my humminbird 597. It was a simple, neat and painless installation and works out great. It is virtually flush with the bottom. I did stall a small piece of one quarter inch high density plastic to strengthen the area. I used goop to hold it on. Between the goop and the compression fitting on the transducer, it's not going anywhere.

Comment

Russ

The Torqeedo is rear mounted .......... mine is rear mounted. BTW if you go Torqeedo, PM me first.

Thanks
                        Rick

Originally posted by russ498 View Post
                        Dogfish

Where did you get the Hobie trailer bunks? I was unable to find anything like that in their accessory section. I am using a small roller trailer that was designed for an 18 or 19 foot boat. I would like to make it more purpose suited to the angler. I was actually hoping to widen the support area so that it would fit two kayaks.

Did you use the Evolve motor or the Torqueedo? I know they're both made byTorqueedo. I was interested in getting one stern mounted rather than going through the Mirage Drive slot. It is my understanding that the Evolve cannot be rear mounted on the Angler Pro. Is that?

FYI, I did get with a through the hull transducer for my humminbird 597. It was a simple, neat and painless installation and works out great. It is virtually flush with the bottom. I did stall a small piece of one quarter inch high density plastic to strengthen the area. I used goop to hold it on. Between the goop and the compression fitting on the transducer, it's not going anywhere.

Comment

As I understand, the Evolve was made for the Hobie for either stern mount or drive well install. In the stern mount install, the Evolve fits on the Twist and Stow mechanism (which holds the rudder; you have to remove the rudder) of the Outback (in my case) so you can lift and drop the motor via the Outback pull cords. It doesn't look like the Evolve was designed for stern mounting on the PA. In the drive well install, the motor drops right into the Outback hole. This motor should also drop into a Revo or PA drive well too.

The Torqeedo ultra light 403 is generally designed for most yaks. It's not designed to fit in the mirage drive well. It will fit on my Outback and the PA, but it's designed to be installed near the stern. It does not have to be installed directly behind the yak. It can be installed offset, or to the side of the stern. An example of this side mount is shown on you tube on the Kaskazi Dorado yak.

I believe Dogfish and MM have the UL 403, right guys?

Dogfish,
                          How does the duration of Torqeedo compare with your previous minn kota and lead-acid batt combo?
                          Last edited by tufnik; 07-01-2012, 05:20 PM.
                          2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                          2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                          2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

That is a very good description of the difference. I have the Evolve. It drops into the drive well. The Ultra Light 403 mounts to the rear of the kayak, via a mounting ball. That is correct the Evolve cannot be rear mounted on the PA. I think Memory Maker has had very good luck with the Ultra Light 403. If you do want to rear mount the Torqeedo, that will save you a few hundred dollars when buying the Ultra Light 403.

I got my trailer bunks at Backyard Boats in Annapolis, 222 Severn Ave. I used them on a Trailex trailer.

I am glad the through hull transducer job worked out. Like I said, I have considered it myself. It should be a good clean install. I'll be interested to see yours installed.

Comment

Yeah ........ I think the Hook1 discount also applies for the Torqeedo

Originally posted by DOGFISH View Post
                              That is a very good description of the difference. I have the Evolve. It drops into the drive well. The Ultra Light 403 mounts to the rear of the kayak, via a mounting ball. That is correct the Evolve cannot be rear mounted on the PA. I think Memory Maker has had very good luck with the Ultra Light 403. If you do want to rear mount the Torqeedo, that will save you a few hundred dollars when buying the Ultra Light 403.

I got my trailer bunks at Backyard Boats in Annapolis, 222 Severn Ave. I used them on a Trailex trailer.
                              I am glad the through hull transducer job worked out. Like I said, I have considered it myself. It should be a good clean install. I'll be interested to see yours installed.

Comment

Working...
                              X