Potomac snakehead near Towson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Potomac snakehead near Towson

I have only fished mattawoman creek in my search for snakeheads but is there a spot closer to Towson? I know they are all over the Potomac but I don't know of a closer launch area that has snakeheads in the water.

thanks for the help,
    Cliff Williams
    Hobie Pro Angler 14

As far as I can tell, the Potomac is where they occur in the greatest abundance. They've been caught in the Nanticoke and its tribs but are still rare. Once was caught in the Rhode River, and a few have been caught in the Northeast River in the upper Bay. A few have been caught in the Patuxent, and I bet the area upstream of Wayson's Corner is prime habitat for them. There aren't that many bass to compete with, either. If you check in the freshwaters around Baltimore, you might get lucky, but the Potomac is still your best bet. There's camping available at Leesylvania State Park in VA, so you could go on a snakehead safari one weekend.
    Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
    Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

I honestly think we all should do a SH day out in Potomac That would be fun
      2012 Hobie Pro Angler 12 - Olive

Comment

Originally posted by DavidGQ View Post
        I honestly think we all should do a SH day out in Potomac That would be fun
        Check out the July M&G details. Mattowoman is a creek off the Potomac and it's full of Potomac Pike, bass and catfish. Should be a good time!
        Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
        Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
        https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Redfish12 View Post
          Check out the July M&G details. Mattowoman is a creek off the Potomac and it's full of Potomac Pike, bass and catfish. Should be a good time!
          I would love to attend but will be on vacation that week

Comment

Another kayaker was bowfishing a shallow tributary area with lilly pads where I was fishing today (cove south of Ft. Washington). He shot a nice one, around 30"
            2010 Hobie Revolution 13

Comment

Originally posted by frettr00 View Post
              Another kayaker was bowfishing a shallow tributary area with lilly pads where I was fishing today (cove south of Ft. Washington). He shot a nice one, around 30"
              I am going to buy a bow and will bring it with me just in case I see SH Easier to bring it in that way

Comment

.[I][
                Attached Files

Comment

Do it GQ....its a lot of fun......That's what I do, always carrying my old bow.......And since i bough it...I have had a BLAST...!!!!!!!!!!![I][/I]
                  Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                  X