Grilled Snakehead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grilled Snakehead

I cleaned the snakehead I caught yesterday this morning and had 1.5 pound boneless, skinless filet from each side- this evening I had the grill hot from cooking brats, so I decided to throw the snakehead filets on- I drizzled them with extra virgin olive oil and sprinkled cajun seasonings on both filets- I put them on my Weber smoker gill with hardwood chips putting out moderate wood smoke- Grill was hot- fifteen minutes later I took the filets off the grill- they were some kind of good- both my wife and Daughter loved the snakehead and my wife doesn't usually eat fish except she likes fried catfish-
    Last edited by ronaultmtd; 07-04-2012, 09:36 PM.
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

My mouth was watering as I read your description. It sounds tasty.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

I only got a small portion of the three pounds of fish, John- the women ate it all up- glad I had grilled some brats-usually three pounds of fish for my family is enough so that everyone gets some and there is a little left over- not this time- it was delicious- no fishy taste whatsoever- just flaky, juicy, tasty fish. I did not over cook it, but it was done. The smoker gill imparted just the right amount of lightly smoke taste so you knew it was grilled.The olive oil allowed it to brown without drying out- and the cajun seasonings gave it a little kick but not overly spicy-

Comment

Sounds yummy. I plan on grilling the next one I catch. Did you throw it directly on the grill or did you cook over foil?
        Last edited by ILV2F5H; 07-05-2012, 10:07 AM.
        Hobie Outback
        WS Tarpon
        IG: #liveyakfish

Comment

Directly on the grill- no aluminum foil for me- the olive oil helps prevent sticking-

Comment

Sounds great Ron. I can't wait until I catch my first snakehead and eat him of course.

Comment

Dang that sounds tasty! I've yet to catch my first snakehead. I just wish the prime snakehead hunting grounds weren't so far away from northern Frederick County. One of these days MD-Fisheries (and other states) are going to embrace this quality fish. You'd think if/when they ever get a foot-hold in the weedy sections of the Susky Flats that all heck will break out. I'd think the extremely weedy Furnace Bay located in the NE corner of the Susky Flats (by the Perryville Comm Park kayak launch)would be just what they'd be looking for to call home.
              Howard

16' Oldtown Camper Canoe with a side-mount 40# thrust trolling motor.

Comment

Not to worry- they are spreading their habitat every year farther and farther from Crofton- They have been caught all the way down in St. Jerome's Creek- they seem headed more south than north, though-

Comment

Originally posted by HJS View Post
                  Dang that sounds tasty! I've yet to catch my first snakehead. I just wish the prime snakehead hunting grounds weren't so far away from northern Frederick County. One of these days MD-Fisheries (and other states) are going to embrace this quality fish. You'd think if/when they ever get a foot-hold in the weedy sections of the Susky Flats that all heck will break out. I'd think the extremely weedy Furnace Bay located in the NE corner of the Susky Flats (by the Perryville Comm Park kayak launch)would be just what they'd be looking for to call home.
                  I think at least one was caught in the Northeast River, so it seems like it's just a matter of time.
                  Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
                  Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Working...
                  X