Calling all Malibu Owners!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calling all Malibu Owners!!!

I need your input to try and figure out if its just me or my kayak. I am currently around 220lbs and have a Malibu 12-stealth. Every time I have taken my yak out, I have water in the back where my crate is. Now, I usually do the "go light" thinking and hardly have any gear with me, but I will outline what I take.

two spinning rods
    pdf - on me
    knife - in crate
    radio - on me
    one plano 12x16 box with fishing gear - usually between my legs in the livewell
    pliers - in the side pocket
    small spool of mono for leader - side pocket
    dry bag with wallet, keys, phone - side pcoket
    milk crate - in storage area
    battery- inside kayak front hatch
    yakattack vispole - in crate rod holder

I might have some other stuff, but it would be really lightweight stuff in my mind. Anyways, my question is, is this a norm for all Malibu kayaks? or is it my layout and gear? I normally have at least an inch of water in the back and anything sitting in my crate on the bottom gets wet. just wanted to check what others have experienced.

Keith
    Keith
    2012 Hobie Pro Angler 14

I have the same yak. The stern tankwell does get wet, but it's a SOT. That's what is supposed to happen I thought. You could plug the scupper holes if you want to keep it dry, but then you loose the self bailing aspect of the yak. Foam golf balls are brought up often. I haven't used them myself. Others rigged ways to raise the crate so everything at the bottom stays dry. I have a mesh tackle bag with a plastic bottom that is almost bucket like that keeps the mesh from getting wet. I dont mind if other things back there get wet.
    -Jon
    Revo 13

Comment

All SOT stern wells get wet- even the all mighty Hobie Outbacks- scupper drains let water in...as well as out- as a matter of fact kayaks are usually a wet ride, period...that is part of the attraction for me- cools me off in these hot summers-
      "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
      2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
      "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
      Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

So I realize that a SOT is supposed to get wet... but I dont think that an inch of water in the back is right. I would take it if its just wet on occasion from water coming in and out, but its constantly in there. That is what i wanted to understand. If that is the way this kayak rides, then ok, but it seems like it should have less in the rear to me.
        Keith
        2012 Hobie Pro Angler 14

Comment

My Tarpon constantly has an inch of water in the tankwell, too. I'm nowhere near the weight limit. Even adding scupper plugs doesn't help. I added feet to my crate to keep my tackle out of the water. It is an aggravating design flaw.
          Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
          Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

I and 6'2" and 215 LB and picked up a stealth 14. I havent had any issues with this but have niced its close to coming in. Some people put lifts on their crate to compensate for it. Maybe that is an idea to solve it.
            Malibu Stealth 14
            Perception Caster 12.5

Comment

I have the malibu stealth 12, and notice there is always water in the back, not an inch but there is always water in the back, as long as those scuppers are open you will have water back there coming and going through those holes. If its the gear u r worried about do like these other guys said and add some legs or rubber stoppers on the bottom of the crate to get it a few inches taller
              Kodi B. from MD/PA
              Fishing from a Malibu Stealth 12 & Native Slayer 12

Comment

Not sure if anyone has heard but Malibu may be going out of business. Not 100% sure on this as I heard it through the grapevine on KBF. I will be dissapointed to say the least if they do
                Kodi B. from MD/PA

Comment

Originally posted by KbowersRiverBum View Post
                  Not sure if anyone has heard but Malibu may be going out of business. Not 100% sure on this as I heard it through the grapevine on KBF. I will be dissapointed to say the least if they do
                  wow, that would really suck. Malibu has a great this going with their stealth line. Very comparable to the Ride series Wilderness Systems has. Cheaper and lighter to boot.
                  -Jon
                  Revo 13

Comment

From what I have read so far is that it isn't looking good for Malibu and supposedly their pro-staff Has already disbanded. Im kind of in shock as they had just released their stealth 9 not too long ago
                    Kodi B. from MD/PA

Comment

Yea, I had heard that as well. shame really.
                      Keith
                      2012 Hobie Pro Angler 14

Comment

I spoke with the people at Malibu Kayaks today and they said all is fine now. It appears they had an issue with someone associated with the business. I know very little about it so I won’t go into detail. They just asked if I would let people know they are fully operational and look to stay in business.
                        Ocean Kayak Ultra 4.7
                        Predator 13

Comment

good to know! thanks!
                          Originally posted by Fishtank View Post
                          I spoke with the people at Malibu Kayaks today and they said all is fine now. It appears they had an issue with someone associated with the business. I know very little about it so I won’t go into detail. They just asked if I would let people know they are fully operational and look to stay in business.
                          -Jon
                          Revo 13

Comment

One of the owners got bought out. asked my buddy who is a dealer in CA. Apparently coming out with some new cool lines as well.
                            Malibu Stealth 14
                            Perception Caster 12.5

Comment

That's good to know they will still be around. They make a great product and I look to continue my business with them
                              Kodi B. from MD/PA

Comment

Working...
                              X