Overachiever rockfish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overachiever rockfish

I have read lots of reports about MKF members finding small rockfish all over the place. I have had the same experience in the Severn, between Sandy Point and Thomas Point, and again today all around Eastern Bay.

I took out my 16' Scout center console boat today and did a 32 mile loop around Eastern bay (that is far more water covered and more spots visited than I can do in a kayak). The water was calm and pretty. The air did not seem unbearably hot either. I saw fish splashing at the surface many different places. I visited one area of Eastern Bay that often produces good fish. It is a trough between shallow flats. As soon as I came off of plane, my fishfinder lit up with marks. I drifted for at least 45 minutes with countless fish around me the whole time.

Here are two photos of the screen -- there were fish top to bottom.

Sadly they were all small. I cast and retrieved near the surface. I jigged vertically and I jigged laterally back to the boat. The biggest rockfish I saw today was about 12". The next photo shows an overachiever fish.

The 10" fish attacked my 6" BKD and bit down on the hook. I had several others of similar size that went for the 6" BKD. Frequently as I retrieved a lure to the boat, I could see 5-10 small fish trying to push each other out of the way to get at the lure (a prized snack in their minds).

I am taking the center console out again Sat morning from Sandy Point to jig some pilings and run around looking for fish. My plan is to launch between 7:00 and 8:00 and be back by noon. I may have one open space for another angler if anyone wants to go.
    Attached Files
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

That's pretty incredible it was able to eat that! I'll be out there early on the east side tomorrow am, hopefully there will be a few bigger!
    Used to fish more.

Comment

Working...
    X