Newbie needs help selecting a kayak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie needs help selecting a kayak

I'm in the market for a used fishing kayak and don't really know what to look for in the boat.

I will be fishing on the susguehanna and protected areas of the chesapeake bay and prefer the smallest boat that will work my 230 lbs. Any pointers will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

You will probably need a Sit On Top one. Don't know your budget but try to get a Hobie if you can afford one.
    2012 Hobie Pro Angler 12 - Olive

Comment

depends on where you go on the susqy, if you go up past port deposit you probly dont want to take a hobie . the rocks and rapids will destroy the drive unit. we fish up there regularly and our yaks get the hell beat out of them. you really dont want more than a 12 footer in the rapids, or you will get caught in one sideways! not gona be good then !

Comment

Are you referring to the hobies that you pedal, I was curious what people thought about those.

I'm thinking my best best is to watch the boats that come up for sale on MKF. An old boat setup by someone who know what they're doing would be the best think for someone like myself who know very little about how kayak fishing work.

Comment

Susqeyaker,

I do want to fish up there, any other tips for a boat other than a 12 footer?

Comment

me and my cousin both have 12 foot sit on tops, but there are lots of sit ins that go all the time. go to the dam up there and take your binoculars and look and see. some guys drop in at the ramp up there. im sure you will see lots of different makes and models. but if you get one and go there, dont go if more than 3 small units are running. 1 big unit is more than anyone i know is willing to atempt.

Comment

go to austincanoeandkayak.com u can compare different types of sit on tops and compare the load limits find to one u like then look for a used one. 12 or better to be comfortable and not feel cramped, 14 is better
              Last edited by surfdog; 07-10-2012, 05:20 PM. Reason: spel check not working

Comment

That's a nice site with a lot of yaks. At this point I'm considering the Tarpon and Native Ultimate 12. I think I over the coos

I can't find anyone local who stocks the native which is a problem since it's an unusual design and I would really like to paddle it before spending $$$ on it. I've had several wilderness boats and liked them. I should be able to find a wet demo for the Tarpon locally.

Weight is an issue for me since I may want to eventually transport the yak on the deck of my larger boat. Both the Native and Tarpon are pretty light.

Comment

i think kent island kayaks carry native kayaks and annapolis canoe and kayak has tarpons. i used to have a tarpon120 nice kayak. OK prowler or tirdents are nice yaks also

Comment

Annapolis Canoe and Kayak also has Native. They are located at Severn Ave. and Third Street in the Eastport area of Annapolis 21403.

Comment

I called both Kent Island and Annapolis last week and both said they could order me one but did not have any in stock. Anybody have any impression of the ultimate?

Comment

Originally posted by CaptainDelirious View Post
                        That's a nice site with a lot of yaks. At this point I'm considering the Tarpon and Native Ultimate 12. I think I over the coos

I can't find anyone local who stocks the native which is a problem since it's an unusual design and I would really like to paddle it before spending $$$ on it. I've had several wilderness boats and liked them. I should be able to find a wet demo for the Tarpon locally.

Weight is an issue for me since I may want to eventually transport the yak on the deck of my larger boat. Both the Native and Tarpon are pretty light.
                        Not a 12 footer but saw this Native Ultimate for on C-list. http://harrisburg.craigslist.org/boa/3134670522.html

Comment

Originally posted by CaptainDelirious View Post

Hudson Trail here in Fairfax has a selection of Native's and Wilderness on the floor. I have both Tarpon 100 and OC trident prowler 13 and like them both but they are the only things I have paddled so I am being partial.

Comment

I'll give you my take on the ultimate,, worst of both worlds. would you buy an open canoe for those waters? thats what the ultimate is.
                            Get a SOT. I have a few canoes, a SINK, and 2 SOT's. My buddy has an ultimate, a necky, wavewalker, WS pamlico, we is getting rid of them all and "re-fleeting" with SOT's.
                            The Ultimate suxs for any type of water except perfectly calm back water logoons. Real fun bailing it out.
                            Best deal on a SOT - The old version of the WS Tarpon 120, now being sold as the Perception Pescador 12 for 499.00 at Academy,, got to West Marine they carry it and will price match.
                            This is by for the best "all around" boat for rivers and open water,, if 1 boat has to do it all.
                            I have taken mine out in the bay, out at OC, and running the South Branch in WV, it handles the class 2 rivers as good as my Redfish 10, and is noticibly faster than the redfish in open water.

Slack
                            Captian of the plastic Navy
                            1 - Mad River Canoes
                            1- Tarpon 120
                            1- Redfish 10
                            1- Coosa HD
                            2- Cuda 12
                            1- Slayer Propel 10

http://reoservicesofmaryland.com/

Comment

Working...
                            X