Furniture PVC?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Furniture PVC?

anybody ever use this stuff? looks like its better and has a less plumbing look.

http://www.formufit.com/

So what exactly qualifies something as ‘Furniture Grade PVC’?

We get this question a lot, and we actually prefer the term High Definition PVC (HD-PVC, you’ll start to see us referring products as that soon), because not everyone is building furniture with our products.
    Nonetheless, Furniture Grade is a classification of PVC that meets the following criteria:
    Impact Proof

Furniture Grade PVC can take a beating. Furniture Grade PVC can withstand a hard hit, a drop from a negligible height and won't suffer any cracks or breakage. It's also able to withstand significant load (weight) applied to it
    Attractive Appearance

Furniture Grade PVC has a beautiful glossy surface, ideal for display items such as furniture, shelves, pool products, etc., where appearance is important
    Ultraviolet Protection

Furniture Grade PVC has a non-toxic additive introduced in the injection molding or extrusion process that inhibits the impact of sunlight (or even fluorescent lighting) on the molecular structure of the PVC. Without this, the PVC would yellow, crack or become brittle or just plain break
    Tapered or Domed Edges

Furniture Grade PVC has tapered edges along the points of interconnect that will not cause clothing to snag or scratch people or pets that it comes in contact with. In addition it adds to the seamless appearance of the product by making a tapered transition from fitting to pipe
    Non-Toxic

Most importantly, unlike plumbing-grade PVC, Furniture Grade PVC is ‘pure PVC’ and not made with any heavy metals, noxious plasticizers or poisonous chemicals that may leech or transfer to an individual or connecting element (wood decking, pool water, ground, etc.)
    Other Important Factors

Some other areas that FORMUFIT includes in our qualification of Furniture Grade PVC (or HD-PVC) are:
      • Longer fitting ports for increased structural integrity for our PVC fittings.
      • Solid core walls for our PVC pipe to increase rigidity and reduce flexibility under load.
      • Strict US manufacturing guidelines to make sure that no heavy metals or phlalates are used in the manufacturing process, and that dioxins are not released into the environment by our manufacturers.

Obviously, Furniture Grade PVC is also available in a multitude of configurations that you just wont find at your hardware store or home center.
    Furniture Grade PVC is far superior to what you find on the shelves of your local Home Depot or Lowes in quality, build and functionality. Those items are termed ‘Plumbing Grade’, which obviously means they are utilized for in-home and business plumbing use, which limits them to what they can do.
    For example, a Soccer Goal built from Plumbing Grade fittings would be an annual activity. Exposure to the sun and day-to-day use would require you to build it every single year, whereas with Furniture Grade fittings it would last your entire child’s soccer career.
    sigpic

No, never used it but I think I will have try some. That gloss black would look cool on my camo Ride 115!

Thanks for the link.
    Dave

Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Comment

Nice to know. I never gave it much thought in the past but it makes sense. I wonder if they have any side by side tests of furniture grade in the elements versus plumbing grade.
      Don Haller
      Chesapeake Beach, MD
      Blaze Orange, Jackson Kayak "Cuda 14"

“There can’t be good living, where there is not good drinking.”
      – Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Yes, have used it. Nicer finish. More configurations offered. Fits PVC from HD and Lowes. Uses same PVC glue. Haven't really stressed it to see if it's stronger.
        2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
        2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
        2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

More configurations, nicer finish, but probably not quite as strong. That's just from my experience.

Comment

def. looks cooler than standard plumbing pvc. ive worked with pvc for 30 years and have used different grades of pvc sch. 30, 40 and 80 they say its more uv resistant and stiffer than standard dwv pipe which is sch 30. sch 40 and 80 can be used for plumbing pumps and pressure systems. for furniture and out door projects this looks real good. the 5 way and 3 way ells come in real handy

Comment

Working...
            X