Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1st post

Hi all-

Im new to bay fishing on a yak, but ive been fishing all my life. I live in Manassas and my buddy and I are looking to go to the bay on Monday the 23rd of july. Any tips- where to launch/ bait/ ect to use? Im not afraid to drive. Ill go up to Baltimore but prefer to go South of Annapolis. We got the gear (hes an OBX native). The yaks to be used are Trophy 126 and an Ascend D10 with 3 rod holders added.

Thank yall.

Mike

Excellent, Manasass in the house! That's where I grew up. I spent a lot of time fishing out of Bull Run Marina as a kid.

As for hitting the Bay south of Annapolis, you can launch out of Point Lookout State Park or at Buzz's Marina if you want to hit the mid-Bay area. I think it's $5 on weekends at PLO for out of state folks, and it's $5 to launch at Buzz's Marina (www.buzzsmarina.com). If you want to fish the Bay Bridge by Annapolis, you can launch at the G Dock at the marina on the Eastern Shore side. I can't remember the name of the marina, but it's near Hemingway's restaurant in Stevensville, MD. http://goo.gl/maps/fYL7

You'll have to ask some of the other guys about fishing the Virginia part of the Bay, but I know there's a ramp in Lynnhaven (I think it's called the Crab Creek ramp) for fishing the creek, inlet, and Bay. There's also a ramp at Messick Point and Wallace's Bait and Tackle (http://www.wallacesbaitandtackle.com/) for fishing the Back River. I can't remember the name of the launch for fishing the Hampton Roads Bridge Tunnel or the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel.

As for bait, lures, gear, looking through the Virginia and Boatyard sections of the forum will tell you what was caught where and what was used.

Good luck and welcome aboard.
    Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
    Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Welcome - I'm pretty new here too and just learning the launch sites and where there is good fishing. There is a ramp in Chesapeake Beach, I think its $5 to launch a kayak or you can launchand park for free in Rose Haven into Herring Bay just north of Chesapeake Beach. Some of us went there last month and many white perch were caught.
      Don Haller
      Chesapeake Beach, MD
      Blaze Orange, Jackson Kayak "Cuda 14"

“There can’t be good living, where there is not good drinking.”
      – Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Thanks for the info. Aftr conferring with my buddy, were going to hit Messick Point and do some floating and anchor. hopefully we can grab a few croaker to put some cut bait on the larger rods.

Comment

welcome! as elliot in the morning says, manassas is americas most livable community
          sigpic

Comment

There are speckled trout to be had at Messick Point, too, at least in the fall.
            Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
            Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Originally posted by ictalurus View Post
              There are speckled trout to be had at Messick Point, too, at least in the fall.
              Home of Lorena Bobbit!

I digress- I thinking in terms of cost efficiency and such (3 yaks mean i gotta take my F-350 V10 not the car)... bloodworms for some white perch and croaker n do cut bait/ small live bait for some larger fish on a drift or anchored. Im stoked to do some bay fishin. I usually spend my time on the rivers n ponds.

Comment

Working...
              X