Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Moken Angler - Any feedback or thoughts on Moken?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moken Angler - Any feedback or thoughts on Moken?

Anyone out there using Moken kayaks? What do you think? Specifically wondering about the Moken 12 Angler?

Pros/cons? Looking at this as a first kayak and will be used for fishing along teh Bush River.

Any and all feedback on Moken kayaks is appreciated!

Chris

I was actually looking at that kayak a few months back just to add to my fleet and I didn't get it because I heard the built in wheel is horrible and only good for like a paved launch or parking lot. Horrible on gravel or unpaved/off road. So I decided not to go with it because it just adds useless weight
    Kodi B. from MD/PA
    Fishing from a Malibu Stealth 12 & Native Slayer 12

Comment

You have a fleet? Anything you are looking to get rid of that's good for a new yak fisher?

Comment

As of right now I only have my Malibu stealth 12. I'm waiting for that new JK Cuda 12 footer to drop on the market. What's ur price range, I can always throw u my recommendation for a new yak'er
        Kodi B. from MD/PA

Comment

It also really depends on what type of water you will be fishing, what kind of vehicle you have for transport, how much u can lift comfortably, do u like to stand and fish, any specific extras you are looking for?
          Kodi B. from MD/PA

Comment

Originally posted by KbowersRiverBum View Post
            I'm waiting for that new JK Cuda 12 footer to drop on the market.
            Uh oh.... I hadn't heard about that! Might have to look that one up and consider another purchase myself

As for the Moken, they look like solid yaks but I haven't seen one in person or even heard anything about them. Just seen the pics.

chimo

Comment

Originally posted by chimo View Post
              Uh oh.... I hadn't heard about that! Might have to look that one up and consider another purchase myself

chimo
              JK just introduced it at iCAST. They say it's supposed to hit around November I believe
              Kodi B. from MD/PA

Comment

Ok I'll answer those questions...

Water = Those around Harford and Baltimore County. I live off of the Bush river, that's were most of my usage will be.

Vehicle/Transport = Will either go on a trailer or on top of a vehicle.

Lifting = I don't see any problem loading anything up to 80-90 lbs

Stand or Sit to fish? = I don't know yet! I'm looking at boats that supposedly do both duties. (I'm also like the looks of the JK Coosa and the NuCanoe Frontier...)

Extras? = Time will tell but whatever I get will eventually need a the 'basics' that most of rig up. Rod holders, room to pack for overnights, storage well, anchor trolley, anchor, paddle holders, etc....

Basically I am looking for something comfy and fun to paddle and fish in!

I am open to all wisdom all of you posses to help me do this as smart as possible!

Chris

Comment

With that criteria you have a lot of possible options. Wilderness Systems Commander (I would go with the 120), Malibu Kayaks Stealth 12, Jackson Kayak Coosa or the Cuda, Native also makes a good yak. It all depends on how thick ur wallet is or how good of a deal u can find. I like the 12 foot range because I can still take it in smaller Rivera or streams but still have the stability on my Malibu stealth 12 If I want to go in the bay or ocean. My advice to you is pick a few out that interest you and then find stores where u can demo before u buy. Don't order ur first yak offline until u have tested it out.
                  Kodi B. from MD/PA

Comment

I started with a perception Caster, and recently upgraded to a Moken 12 angler. Love the moken much better. Slightly slower than the perception, but a much dryer and well built ride. I'm sure there are better boats out there, but hard to find many under $900 unless you find a deal on a used one. I mostly fish middle river and gunpowder with mine and love it for these waters. I also took it to Hatteras a few weeks ago and tried it in the surf with no complaints there either. Needless to say, I've been very pleased with the Moken. Starrkmoon usually has the best deals locally on the feelfree brand kayaks, even usually has a few used/demo boats that he sells for great prices.
                    2012 FeelFree Moken Angler 12
                    http://www.youtube.com/80grady

Comment

Originally posted by KbowersRiverBum View Post
                      As of right now I only have my Malibu stealth 12. I'm waiting for that new JK Cuda 12 footer to drop on the market. What's ur price range, I can always throw u my recommendation for a new yak'er
                      I was about to pull the trigger on a used stealth 12, but this news of a cuda 12 coming out has stopped me. I'm glad I read this post first!
                      Sun Fishin'

Comment

DSMERO has a Moken and seems to like it alot....PM him
                        14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
                        2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

Originally posted by Sun View Post
                          I was about to pull the trigger on a used stealth 12, but this news of a cuda 12 coming out has stopped me. I'm glad I read this post first!
                          Supposed to drop anywhere from August to this fall. No definite date set yet.
                          Kodi B. from MD/PA

Comment

Working...
                          X