OC, Thru surf, inlet and bay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OC, Thru surf, inlet and bay

What lures are productive and what fish are you chasing in these areas. Throw a few pointers out about what you know and have used in the area.
    "If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing." ... or you're just doing it wrong.

My Blog "Confessions of a fisherman, hunter and tinkerer"

I am far from an expert at OC. But I will fish for flounder near the Rt 50 bridge tomorrow. My plan is to use bottom rigs with two flounder hooks and live minnows. I will also have another rod with a jighead (or bucktail) and Gulps and various soft plastics on the hook. I can cast that to the pilings or jig it. Depending on the speed of the current, I will drift or anchor up.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

During this time of year you'll have a mix of small blues, croaker, kingfish...aka..whiting, spot from the surf. Kastmasters, Hopkins, Mirrolures for small blues and spot/kingfish/croaker rigs using real bloodworms tipped with FBBW (Fishbites BW) for the surf. You can also use strips of squid tipped with Fishbites Crab. Produces as well. Most fish will be closer then you may think. If you want to target toothy critters , which are around, then we'll need to set you up on a whole other surf casting rig. Just let me know if this is what you are targeting and I can explain.

Inlet: Storm swimbaits, bomber plugs (black at night), twitchbaits, bucktail jigs w/porkrind trailer, most jigs w/soft plastics trailers are your go-to lures in the inlet. I don't recommend fishing bait here unless you are live-lining spot or eels. You will get hung up alot. Be careful and always wear metal studded boots/korkers if you're gonna fish out on the rocks of the jetty.

Bay: What John said above. All the Flounder (shorts only) I've caught in the back bays this year have been on a white bucktail with a chartruese 4" gulp mullet trailer "and" a 4" gulp mullet teaser about 1 foot above that using a dropper loop. The kingfish/spot/croaker rig works well in the bay too.

Good luck to you

Comment

also gotcha plugs work, larger flounder will go for live spot or 6" gulp swimming mullet

Comment

I agree with surfdog on the 6" gulp. I have caught some nice flounder this year up to 8.5 lbs. using the 6" gulp fishing out of Lewes.Big flounder love it.

Comment

Working...
          X