Wegmans has Ray for sale

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wegmans has Ray for sale

Wegmans has what they are calling Chesapeake Ray for sale @ 7.49 lb. It looks to be wing meat by the shape of it and appears skinless, kind of dark red looking. I am assuming that this is Cownose ray they are selling. Guy behind the counter says he is selling some, which to me, means that it isn't moving so well. First time I have seen in a local store here in Fairfax. Has anybody else seen this around in their area stores? Have you tried it? How do you all cook it, fried, baked or grilled?

I saw this somewhere, can't remember but book marked it.

http://artvoice.com/issues/v10n31/dining/cownose_ray
    sigpic

Comment

I was at the finger lakes in new york and visited a wegmans up there and they were selling the same thing a few months back. A guy was making samples. It was basically some seasoning and oil, cooked up in a skillet. The texture was a lot like steak and you could probably trick someone momentarily, but it had a fishy aftertaste which I found somewhat off putting but not all the guys thought so. It wasn't bad. I think they are trying to push it as something that the bay is full of that no one uses.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
      Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
      Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
      Kokatat Pro Staff
      Torqeedo Pro Staff
      Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
      Alan

Comment

There are folks at the Virginia Institute of Marine Science and Virginia Sea Grant that have been working hard on how to market it. One proposed marketing name was "Chesapeake Stinger". Still doesn't sound appetizing. Dean Grubbs, who was mentioned in the article posted by stupidjet, is a VIMS alum, which is kind of funny. If I recall correctly, cownose rays migrate all the way down to South America, which I think would make it pretty difficult to maintain a sustainable fishery if demand took off.
        Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
        Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Wegman's just opened by my house in Columbia. My first trip there was last friday. I went over to check out the seafood section but we were there kind of late and they had covered all of the seafod. I just wanted to see if they had it and what it looked like. I'd keep a smaller skate or ray to give it a try, but I wouldnt buy it...
          Ryan
          Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
          Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Originally posted by shadyfisher85 View Post
            Wegman's just opened by my house in Columbia. My first trip there was last friday. I went over to check out the seafood section but we were there kind of late and they had covered all of the seafod. I just wanted to see if they had it and what it looked like. I'd keep a smaller skate or ray to give it a try, but I wouldnt buy it...
            I agree with you, I am thinking of keeping one to try, but I will never buy it.

Comment

Some Bay Scallops are just plugs of skate wing (see recipe below), I imagine ray would be similar. I will use the caveat that I could be completely wrong since I don't eat seafood.

How to Make Skate Scallops
              By Daisy Cuinn
              Circular-cut skate wing, with its mild, slightly sweet flavor and firm texture, is sometimes sold as imitation sea scallop. It has also been fraudulently packaged as real sea scallop, according to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration. Skates are saltwater fish related to sharks and rays -- they especially resemble rays, minus the barbed tail. While skates have sometimes been considered a fish unsuitable for eating, the "wing" is a common dish in parts of France, where it's called "raie," and it is increasingly available on menus in American restaurants. Look for skate at coastal fish markets, specialty grocery stores and online. Does this Spark an idea?

Instructions

Boil a pot of water.

Cut the wings off the skate, if necessary. Hold each wing with tongs and lower it into the boiling water for 20 seconds.

Remove the skin from each wing. Locate the cartilage in the center of the cut edge of the wing. Slide a knife over the cartilage toward the tip of the wing, to fillet. Flip the wing and repeat on the other side. Fillet the other wing.

Place the fillets in a pan and cover with buttermilk. Cover with plastic wrap and chill for 2 to 4 hours.

Cut the fillets into a checkerboard, making small squares. Alternatively, you can use a small, round cookie cutter to make scallop shapes.

Proceed to cook as you would with fresh scallops. Skate scallops can be sauteed in butter, skewered and grilled or used as a substitute for sea scallops in a recipe. Cook only until the skate turns opaque, about 3 to 5 minutes.

Comment

i would rather buy a piece than trying to keep one. those things go buck wild when next to the kayak. i usually end up cutting the line. but, i have tried it before and its not bad. the asian markets sell them already cut up.
                Hobie Revolution 13
                Hobie Fishing Team

Comment

Where I am now in Mexico these cownose rays are really popular! I had them in the past two ways fried and veracruz; and by far the best way is veracruz, I'll put my veracruz recipe below. The thing about these is it can be kind of tricky to get right and really depends on how the guy behind the counter has prepared them for you. The remind me a lot of cooking and eating the bigger sharks. They can be delicious or absolutely terrible. You really want to buy it with the cartilage in if you can. You can always fillet this off when you get home but it seems to keep the meat firm and moist until right before cooking. The second thing is that they sometimes have an ammoniated smell/flavor. Just like the bigger sharks a quick sniff can let you know if you need to soak these in buttermilk or lemon juice for 10 minutes. Since the flavor is very distinct it can really put up with some wild flavor combinations like salmon. Capers, olives, pickled peppers, and stuff like that go REALLY well with them. So the recipe for the Skate/Ray Veracruz:

1. Cut the filets off the bone if you wish (leaving them end results in something moister but pieces can be too thick to cool properly, your call...)
                  2. Soak in lemon juice or buttermilk if needed.
                  3. Chop 1/2 cup of green olives, 1 green pepper, 1 jalepeno, 1 tomato, and 1/2 an onion, 4 cloves of garlic.
                  4. Gather and finely chop some fresh oregano.
                  5. Heat a couple tablespoons of oil in a pan and throw in the vegetables (garlic last) and saute until just soft.
                  6. Add 1tsp cumin, 2tbsp of the brine from the olive jar, the oregano, salt and pepper to the vegetables and toss. Then set aside the mixture.
                  7. Put the fillets in a baking dish or individual ramekins then evenly distribute the vegetable mixture on the filets.
                  8. Bake at 400 degrees and check after 15 mins for doneness. If not cooked through just keep going for another 5 mins.
                  I made this the other night with a white sea bass that I caught out here and its gooooooooood. Give it a shot. Whether it's worth buying a ray/skate, I'd say only if you feel like experimenting. Hell, could be the best or worst $7.49 you ever spent.
                  Attached Files
                  www.anglerswithoutborders.com
                  Travel. Explore. Fish.

Comment

Kanvery, that pic looks good, nice recipe, making me hungry

Comment

Originally posted by stupidjet View Post
                      I saw this somewhere, can't remember but book marked it.

http://artvoice.com/issues/v10n31/dining/cownose_ray
                      Thanks for the article, good reading

Comment

i caiught 1 at thompson creek landing on the back side of KI a few years ago. it was terrorizing all my live lined spot and every time i tried to pull it up to the landing the leader would break so i bought a gaff and hooked it again this time i stuck steel in it and pulled it up on the landing must of had a 5' wing spand and about 6" thick probably 40-50lbs. i removed to wings and skinned them the meat was red and in 1/8 bands cook it up and it tasted pretty good but a PITA to skin.

i definatly wouldnt put one in the yak they do have a large 3-4" barb at the base of the tail and the tail can whip you good also

Comment

Working...
                        X