9th Street Ocean City???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 9th Street Ocean City???

I'm heading down to OCMD Saturday for my 3rd trip so far this year. I normally launch at the beach in West OC at the end of Old Bridge Rd. and fish the west channel but I'd really like to fish Harbor Island next week and I'm thinking about launching at 9th Street. There is a very small area between the pier and bulkhead to put in but I'm not sure how much the tide affects getting in and out right there. Have any of you launched from there? If so, any tips/advice would be appreciated. Thanks, Smitty.

Smitty,
    I think the east channel on a weekend would be a tough launch and fishing point. The tide does rip through there, and the off shore boats come by with a full head of steam. I would recommend giving Kayakjoe at the Paddle House a call, he knows the place well, and will tell you straight up what to expect.

Comment

Thanks, Hemingway. I've been fishing the bay in OC for about 20 years and you are correct and I would never drift the east channel for the reasons you mentioned. I also will probably be going on weekdays. However, the main channel breaks west at 8th Street and the island is protected by a sand bar. The channel between the bar and the island is 6 mph. The island starts at 12th Street so it would only take a few minutes to get up there from 9th and I would never actually be in the east channel.

Comment

ive fished that pier many times and the current and boat traffic can be really tough

Comment

Working...
        X