st jerome creek

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• st jerome creek

Ive heard storys of snakeheads in st jeromes creek in st marys county md. Any one hear of this or is this true?
    2014 Hobie Dune Outback
    2013 Ocean Kayak Yellow Trident 13
    Rob

true ive seen the pix of the snakehead caught there

Comment

Yep- it was caught at Buzz's Marina in Ridge, MD
      "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
      2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
      "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
      Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Im thinking of going down there on sat n giving it a try. I have a place round colton point so im not to far. I thought that the water would b to salty for them to b in that area. Being near point lookout
        2014 Hobie Dune Outback
        Rob

Comment

I fish there and I would never fish for snakeheads- It was just a fluke swimming around the dock and the folks took it out- St. J's has salt water fishing- croakers, redfish, flounders, specks and stripers- and if you are unlucky enough to snag one- big ass cownose rays-
          "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
          2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
          "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
          Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Wow reds huh. Any size? I was just wondering about if the snakes invaded that area as well. I like to take them out!
            2014 Hobie Dune Outback
            Rob

Comment

I talked with Mike at Buzz's last week. He hasn't seen any snakeheads in a while (since May, I think). I think there's only been 3 caught there since last year--two this year and one last year. They seem to see them in the spring. I think it would be too salty now, but you never know.

I've caught reds up to about 14" there this year. I'm hoping some bigger ones show up in September/October. I believe keepers have been caught there in the past. Nice blues should be within kayaking range now.
              Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
              Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

For many years I worked with a guy who had a weekend home on the beach half a mile south of the St Jeromes Creek mouth. I fished in that area many times with him. He was quite successful at catching keeper rockfish in the inlet before dawn and in the evenings. We caught flounder and trout in the creek. It is a fishy area.
                John Veil
                Annapolis
                Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Originally posted by ictalurus View Post
                  I talked with Mike at Buzz's last week. He hasn't seen any snakeheads in a while (since May, I think). I think there's only been 3 caught there since last year--two this year and one last year. They seem to see them in the spring. I think it would be too salty now, but you never know.

I've caught reds up to about 14" there this year. I'm hoping some bigger ones show up in September/October. I believe keepers have been caught there in the past. Nice blues should be within kayaking range now.
                  Thanks for the info. Ive never fished there .looking forward to sat to check it out. It b nice to hook up with some slot size reds. They taste good. Or even some nice snapper blues. I caught a few bull reds in south carolina the biggest being 39inches. Ive caught alot of stripers n hard heads around st clements island between coltons pt. Nice drop to drift ur yak over n hook up.
                  2014 Hobie Dune Outback
                  Rob

Comment

Originally posted by yakkinfish18 View Post
                    Thanks for the info. Ive never fished there .looking forward to sat to check it out. It b nice to hook up with some slot size reds. They taste good. Or even some nice snapper blues. I caught a few bull reds in south carolina the biggest being 39inches. Ive caught alot of stripers n hard heads around st clements island between coltons pt. Nice drop to drift ur yak over n hook up.
                    I'm definitely jealous about the redfish. That's one of the only species commonly found in the Bay that I haven't eaten. A slot red in Maryland has been on my goal list for several years now.

I'm going to have to check out the St. Clements Island area more frequently. It didn't take as long to get there as I thought, and it was very fishy. The one downside to St. Jerome's is that it's a long haul to structure if there's no action at the creek mouth. There can be a lot of boat traffic on a Saturday, so you might have to do some exploring. If you have a GPS and the waves aren't too bad, it might be worth a trip to the Woodrow Wilson reefs. Mike can give you the numbers. They're about 2 miles east out from the last green marker, I think. If you're lucky, you can find breakers close to the creek. I've followed schools of 16-24" blues for several hours within a 10 minute paddle from the creek mouth on a couple occasions in the past. Sometimes the croaker fishing can be good close to the creek mouth, but I haven't experienced that. There have been regular reports of keeper specks from the creek, so some exploring might be productive.
                    Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
                    Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Working...
                    X