Patux at Lower Marlboro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Patux at Lower Marlboro

The Pax is less then 1/4 mile from my house with an old public dock at the end of the road,, dropped in there with the 2 boys (10 Y.O. trial run in a yak)
    We were paddling by 6:00 AM, tide carried us upstream slowly.
    Had ultra lights with 1/16 roadrunners/ 2" grub tail and medium action with topwater frogs, etc.
    paddled across the river to hit the standing grass/reeds, nothing, then jiged the channel, nothing.

10 y.o. landed 2 large channel cats on the UL roadrunners, then 2 nice WP at a creak mouth.

Anyone know what is this far up? or how to fish this area?? was hoping for maybe stripers? or croakers?

Thanks,
    Slack

Captian of the plastic Navy
    1 - Mad River Canoes
    1- Tarpon 120
    1- Redfish 10
    1- Coosa HD
    2- Cuda 12
    1- Slayer Propel 10

http://reoservicesofmaryland.com/

looks like a good and successful trip! you might want to check out MSSA's Youth Angler of the Year contest. 6" or larger white perch, and channel cat (at least legal min size) are qualified entrants. 1 of ea species/day.

each entrant in august earns a chance in a drawing for st croix rod/penn reel worth $169, offered by Marty's Tackle. email pic, age, name, location to YAY@mssa.net. is free

Comment

That far up is really brackish- try for blue cats- anchor up and use fish finder rigs with 6/0 circle hook (minimum) and one oz. of lead weight- use cut bunker for bait and fish the deeper holes and channels- should be some really nice blue cats there- also you can fish the grass for bass, pickerel and white perch...use small jig heads with 2 or 3 inch natural colored sassy shad bodies (chartreuse works good too- especially if you dip the tail in red dye)....
      "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
      2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
      "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
      Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Around that section of the Patuxent, catfish are a good bet. Upstream of Jug Bay, there are yellow perch, white perch, sunfish, and crappie. I've fished up there several times for bass and pickerel and never had any luck, and I'm not sure why. Some snakeheads have been caught at Wayson's Corner, and there's spatterdock up there, too, which is a good place to look for more snakeheads. There are a couple creeks around King's Landing that I've scoped out during the perch run, but I didn't have much luck. I was probably too early, but they gotta go somewhere during the summer. On some of the research cruises I've been on in that area we had big catches of catfish, white perch, and sometimes spot. There might be croakers up there this year. We also caught some really big crabs around Eagle Harbor, too.
        Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
        Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Originally posted by Slackdaddy View Post
          The Pax is less then 1/4 mile from my house with an old public dock at the end of the road,, dropped in there with the 2 boys (10 Y.O. trial run in a yak)
          We were paddling by 6:00 AM, tide carried us upstream slowly.
          Had ultra lights with 1/16 roadrunners/ 2" grub tail and medium action with topwater frogs, etc.
          paddled across the river to hit the standing grass/reeds, nothing, then jiged the channel, nothing.

10 y.o. landed 2 large channel cats on the UL roadrunners, then 2 nice WP at a creak mouth.

Anyone know what is this far up? or how to fish this area?? was hoping for maybe stripers? or croakers?
          Nice work! Where the heck did you launch at LM? I've fished from the pier there but, if I remember correctly, it is bulkheads and rocks on the shore on both sides. I stopped fishing there due to the lack of anything but small cats and i got tired of donating tackle to the sunken school bus and motorcycle on the bottom just out from the pier. I've been fishing the Pax from there north for years and the fishing has gotten tough. Cats and chubsuckers are all that are caught there except during the YP and WP spawning runs.

Comment

For the 1st hour at sunup, there was a lot of breaking fish, but nothing took my top lures.
            I was hoping for LM bass or Rock, but I take it the rock don't come this far up?
            I caught a nice LM just north of Hills bridge last year.
            Is this section a "dead zone"? , to far up for rock/croaker, but to far down for LM ?
            The Grass on the other side look promising, but nothing.
            What tides should this be fished? for LM?
            Snakeheads? sounds like fun, really want something besides cats.

Nay-say, launched at the pier at the end of Lower Marlboro Rd, the rocks on the right are'nt bad, not a sandy beach, but very do-able.

Slack
            Captian of the plastic Navy
            1 - Mad River Canoes
            1- Tarpon 120
            1- Redfish 10
            1- Coosa HD
            2- Cuda 12
            1- Slayer Propel 10

http://reoservicesofmaryland.com/

Comment

Working...
            X