Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to the Sport.

Hello all,
    I am new to the sport of kayak fishing. I have kayaked and love it, and have been trout fishing my whole life. I have an Ascend FS12 kayak with a pretty basic set up for fishing but I plan on expanding when need arises. My question for those of you who are more experienced with fishing salt water is this. What can I expect to catch and during which seasons, along the mid Chesapeake Bay area (I live in North Beach)? Also the same with the Patuxent River between the Benedict bridge and Upper Marlboro. Thanks for any info provided. I look forward to having a lot of fun in the yak.
    Sean.

Welcome. In thesae parts you can catch yellow perch in Feb. white perch in march through Nov. Croaker usually start by June. Stripers are a fan favorite around here to. Get used to your yak on slower water like Benedict, or your area in North Beach then hook up with some club members and get to saltier waters. Have fun!!
    2015 Outback
    2016 Outback LE

GO PATRIOTS !!!

Comment

Thanks kitkatyaker! Does this pertain to both the Chesapeake and lower-mid Patuxent? Thanks for the info!

Comment

Welcome I started out with the fs12 & fs 10 for my son. It is a very stable boat we took them out one day with 3 to 4 foot white caps just to see how they would do..There is allways sombody going out just hook up..There collecting dust now..
        Attached Files
        Mike and son Jeffrey Yellow Hobie Pro Angler
        Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

Welcome! I'm pretty new here too. I live in Chesapeake Beach across from Rolands. I bought my yak a couple months ago and have had it out a few times so far. If you want to go out in Herring Bay or out from the beaches let me know. Naysayer is pretty close to us too.
          Don Haller
          Chesapeake Beach, MD
          Blaze Orange, Jackson Kayak "Cuda 14"

“There can’t be good living, where there is not good drinking.”
          – Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Welcome aboard. Lenny Rudow's Guide to Fishing the Chesapeake is a good book about what, when, where, and how for different species in the Bay.
            Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
            Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Thanks ictalurus I just picked his guide up the other day. Biggrizzly I have been out into the Herrington bay a few times. I am going to go out of Brownie's beach when it cools off a bit. We'll have to hook up some time.

Comment

Working...
              X