mid-bay redfish-and some interesting colorations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mid-bay redfish-and some interesting colorations

Before starting the report, I must confess that I fished from my center console today. I am not a strong enough paddler to get to where I fished from any reasonable launch spot. But if you can get there, it is easily fishable from a kayak.

This morning I spent several hours fishing on sections of the shoreline near the mouth of Eastern Bay. I worked in shallow depth casting up to edges of marsh grass, rip rap, and wooden bulkheads. Most places along the shoreline did not produce, but I found two small pockets of good activity. The first one produced several rockfish up to 17".

In the same general area, I caught three really fat white perch. They were each about 10.5" long (not extraordinarily long) but were really tall and fat fish. All three of them had a golden color, unlike the silver or black coloration I see in the Severn.

The second pocket produced small redfish. I was happy to catch the first one -- a 12" fish. Then I cast back into the same general area and got numbers 2, 3, and 4 (up to 14") all in the same spot in the next 5 minutes. I wanted to keep working the area, but snagged my lure on some submerged wood near shore. After retrieving the lure 5 ft from the shoreline, I had to gun the trolling motor to back out to deeper water. I suspect that spooked any other fish in that exact spot. I came back to it twice again 10 minutes and 30 minutes later, but the reds were gone. I did pick up my 5th red of the day about 100 yds away. I tried casting a popper, a metal lure, and a bucktail and plastic in electric chicken color. None of these drew even a nibble. I spent most of the time throwing a 3" Gulp swimming mullet on a jighead. That is what they wanted today.

Regarding the coloration, the largest of the reds I caught today had a tail that looked blue as I lifted it from the water. The photo does not really do it justice. It seemed to be a color similar to the blue on our local crabs. I have not caught very many redfish before but do not recall seeing such a vivid blue color on the tail.

Attached Files
    Last edited by J.A. Veil; 08-21-2012, 06:01 PM.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

pretty fish and nice catch all round! the blue color does not seem uncommon. regardless, that is a strong example of the blue.

it's hard to know if the photo accentuates it, but the redfish seems relatively light in its body color. i think it's common for fish to take on some of the color of the water they live in - loch raven LMB are very light as compared to those that might be found in a tannin pond for example. the water quality is much clearer on eastern than western shore, and might help account for the coloring you've noted.

Comment

Nice John, he is going to be even prettier next year! Someone had some data that the red's grow an inch a month.

Comment

That's pretty cool, John. I've seen some artists' renderings of redfish that had tails colored like that, but I always thought it was an artistic interpretation to add some contrast.
        Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
        Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

nice John, were you on the bloody point side or the southern point of EB?

caught a small red from david taylor yesterday afternoon on a gulp curly tail and a home painted slipper type jighead red/white. most of the ones i have caught and seen on tv have blue in the tail, Ive heard that the blue is from iodine in the crustaceans they eat, don't know if its a fact

Comment

Beautiful fish! The last one that I caught in the Severn (just outside weems creek), had a blueish tail.
            Ryan
            Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
            Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Here's a little guy I caught in the Severn on Thursday morning. As hard as he fought I was sure I had a keeper rock. Imagine my surprise when it turned out to be an 11" red. I'd love to get into some bigger fish!
              Attached Files
              LL Bean (Perception) Manatee DLX Angler 9.5'
              Hobie Pro Angler 12

Comment

Working...
              X