North of the border Newb.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• North of the border Newb.

I've been fresh water Kayak fishing this summer up here in PA and recently went crazy (according to the wife) and bought a Hobie Outback. I'm near Hanover PA, but grew up in Balto, Co with a few years in AA Co. at Cape St Claire as a kid. I spent two summers fishing around the Bay Bridge with dad. I can't wait to get the Hobie down there and try my luck.

I have maybe one rod that will work for the bay. A 7' medium action Ugly Stick with a Abu Garcia 6600, baitclicker. Everything else is light tackle, fine for perch type stuff. I have no idea what bait or lures to use for stripers. I have a lot to learn. I only know one knot but it seems good enough to bring in bass, catfish, perch and a huge carp this year so I guess it works. I do have a fish finder on the Hobie and tons of desire to get down there. I work shift work and weekends so I'll be able to weekday fish to avoid crowds at SPSP.

Any recommendations on weight of line to spool onto the 6600 for stripers?
    Hobie Outback

Ken Smith

20lb power pro will work for the BB
    Interstate Kayak Fishing

Comment

Welcome to the site!

Comment

Welcome.

Comment

Welcome.
          2012 Hobie Revo 13'
          2012 Hobie PA12'

Comment

Welcome...All ready on the dark side
            Mike and son Jeffrey Yellow Hobie Pro Angler
            Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

[QUOTE=smif42;43548] Everything else is light tackle, fine for perch type stuff. /QUOTE]

On most of my Severn River and freshwater trips, unless I am in deep water or in the main bay, I fish with tackle of the size you describe. I catch perch, pickerel, stripers, bluefish, catfish, LMBs, SMBs using a 5'6" or 6' ultralight rod with Shimano Stradic 1000 reel spooled with 8-lb mono.

If you want to get into light tackle jigging or trolling of larger or heavier lures, you will have much better success with 6' to 7' rods in medium light, medium, or medium heavy weight. I tried LTJ last season using medium light rods. The tip was too flexible so that I could not control the lure very well. Over the winter I bought two medium heavy rods that have a much better feel.
              John Veil
              Annapolis
              Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

I usually fish with heavy fresh water bass tackle for everything- a Abu Revo SX loaded with Cabela's RipChord 20# braid on Capt. Blair Wiggins Flats Blue rod- I even troll Stretch 25's with this setup-
                "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Working...
                X