2nd annual yak contest 9/8/12

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2nd annual yak contest 9/8/12

Any word on results? I got called into work and could not make the 3:30 check in. Post if you know.

Hope you guys got all the fish you could handle before that big honker of a storm came through.

Comment

Wish I could've made it out there! I'll throw out a guess that the winning rock was 35". Any wagers?
      www.anglerswithoutborders.com
      Travel. Explore. Fish.

Comment

35??? ACTUALLY it was in the 20's it was rough fishing yesterday. FUN, but rough. only 2 fish over 20 both caught by same fisherman. Winning perch, 13+ inches
        14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
        2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

This was the highlight of my day...

http://youtu.be/2rrtstFfrO0

Oh and aside from that..the raffle is always fun. I won a half day guided kayak fishing trip down in the Virginia Beach area.

The waters were rough out there yesterday. I fished Crab Alley Bay, which was exposed to the south winds. By the time the morning progressed, mytmouse & I were in 2-3' whitecaps! I caught all small fish. Small croaker (biggest 11"), small baby striper, small spot, and perch. all of the perch I caught were pretty decent, in the 9" range. My best fish was a 9.5" perch. Not good enough for the tourney though. Guys checked in with perch much bigger.

Always fun seeing everyone together. I need to fish more tournaments next year...
          <insert witty comment here>

Comment

NAY NAY, I caught the second place fish which was 21+" and was worth a $200 gift certificate courtesy of Easton Cycle and Sports.

Comment

Originally posted by russ498 View Post
              NAY NAY, I caught the second place fish which was 21+" and was worth a $200 gift certificate courtesy of Easton Cycle and Sports.
              lol......i stand corrected
              14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
              2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

I recieved a call last night from my friend "Spare Change". He claimed the top striper prize with a reported 26" fish. Congrats to Richard using his personally designed and created jigs. Well done!

Comment

The Striped Bass winna was 24"....and it was caught at the Bay Bridge by a brave kayaker who survived 4 "footers" with white caps...not a 26 incher...and he also claimed the BKD prize because he used a BKD lure to catch the winning Striper...

The Captain's bags were really good stuff- I am very happy with what was inside mine- a great big Thank You goes to the sponsors and Camp Wright staff who were really friendly and helpful- overall a A+....the folks who ran the tournament were well prepared and did an wonderful job- the testimonials from Make A Wish touched my heart...great charity-
                  Last edited by ronaultmtd; 09-09-2012, 09:40 AM.
                  "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                  2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                  "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                  Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Excellent tournament put on again by CBKA, even better than last year. I fished the bay bridge side and caught tons of perch, a few smallish stripers, a puppy drum, a croaker and a spot. One of my perch was good for 3rd place in the perch division at 11 3/4"! I also won a nice ultra light rod in the raffle. It was a good tournament for number of species as in addition to the usual types of fish near the bay bridge, flounder, trout and even sunfish were caught, but the big Stripers just weren't around...
                    Ryan
                    Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
                    Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

No one caught the Slam (*rockfish had a minimum size of 14" to qualify)

I'll try to remember off the top of my head.....

Rockfish-Easton Cycle & Sport
                      1st-Richard Souder 24"
                      2nd- Russ 21 1/8"
                      3rd- Chuck Chambers 16 3/4"

Perch - All Tackle
                      1st- Jonas Williams 13+"
                      2nd- Tom Beach 12+"
                      3rd- Ryan Altenberg 11 3/4"

Largest Bluefish -Paddlehouse Outfitters - Matt Baden 12"

Smallest Fish - Kim Sun 4" Sunfish

Crabs - Crab Deck Restaurunt
                      1st- Shane Clift 7 1/2"
                      2nd- Kevin Corbin 6 1/2"
                      3rd Tom Brown 5 3/4"

Ladies Division -Appomatox River Company- Pam Birch size??

Most Species -Hook1 - Tyler Sondberg (Striped Bass, Perch, Spot, Croaker, Speckled Trout)
                      Last edited by CB kayak 02; 09-10-2012, 02:23 PM.

Comment

3rd place rockfish was 16 1/8" caught by chuck chambers

Great time guys...thanks for a fun day.

Chuck
                        Chuck Chambers

2016 Hobie Fishing Team
                        Easton Cycle and Sport - Easton, MD

Comment

The tourney was a great time in spite of the winds. I'm already looking forward to next year. I, along with quite a few others, launched at Goodhand Landing and fished upper Eastern Bay. I caught alot of white perch and one cow nosed ray.

Does anyone know who (Shane or Kevin?) was crabbing just off the Camp Wright Launch? I had my dog at the Matapeake dog beach today and I saw a lone pool noodle crab float about 100 yards off the beach. I went out and retrieved the crab trap and have it if the owner (Shane or Kevin) wants to claim it.

Again, hats off to the CBKA guys for a great tourney.
                          Hobie PA 12

Comment

Originally posted by Disco View Post
                            Any word on results? I got called into work and could not make the 3:30 check in. Post if you know.
                            We missed you, Don! And we have a gift bag for you. One of the guys will get in touch...

Thanks to everyone that came out. We more than doubled last year's turnout. Awesome! We'll determine dates for next year very soon. Trying to eliminate the conflict with DNR. And congrats to J.A. Veil for his big win. And a big, big, bigger thanks for his kind donation of a fishing rod to our event which, went to Kim Sun for the shortest fish!! It's just that sort of "off the cuff" stuff that makes these events so much fun. Thanks John! So many more thank you's to come...

We had 10-11 species taken! Rock, perch, MD blue crab (thanks to MOC), croaker, bluefish (Matt, that was a snapper :-) ), spot, sunfish, speckled trout, flounder and redfish. I heard of a cow nosed ray as well. Nice!

Unofficially, we raised over $1600 for Make-a-Wish. That includes a $500 donation directly from Carefree Boats who also supplied the boat!

As soon as we sort out the pics, stories and results we'll post it all up. We'll start planning for next year soon! Hope to see everyone there!

John

Comment

Launched from Camp Wright and headed to the Bay Bridge dispite the rough water. After about a 1/2 hour caught a 24 inch rockfish on a chartreuse and orange jig and white bkd. Kept jigging for about another 3 hours then caught a 22 1/2 inch rockfish on the same lure and same piling. Headed back to Camp Wright and fished top water around the rocks at Matapeake thying to catch a blue. No blue fish just alot of 8 - 12 inch stripers. Had a great time and can't wait for next years tourney.
                              Hobie Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
                              2014 Hobie Pro Angler
                              2012 Hobie Outback

Comment

Working...
                              X