Magothy, Severn and South Rivers - Newbie needs places to launch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Magothy, Severn and South Rivers - Newbie needs places to launch

I'm a newbie yak fisherman and just ordered a small SOT for fishing. Since I like to fish very early in the morning, I'm looking for 24 hour or 0-Dark-Early accessible launch points on the Magothy, South and Severn rivers. Thanks in advance!

Jonas Green is a nice place to launch on the Severn. It's right next to the naval academy bridge on the north shore of the river.
    Ryan
    Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
    Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Jim -

I launch frequently in the mid-Severn. Here is map I made up last March for the Severn meet and greet to show some access points and places where I caught pickerel last winter. The same creeks and coves hold perch from May through November too.

There is a small launch onto the Severn's Back Creek near Hillsmere. You can launch at Smith's Marina in the Round Bay area, but be prepared to pay $20 for the privilege. I don't have much information on the South or Magothy rivers.
      Attached Files
      John Veil
      Annapolis
      Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

There are no public ramps on the South River. There is a car-top launch area at Beverly Beach Park. The specifics of that are on the AA County Web site, under Parks and Recreation. It requires a yearly permit. As previously mentioned, Jonas is a good launch.

Comment

John's map is great for the Severn river launches. Carr's Wharf on the Rhode River is a fairly close option (http://www.aacounty.org/recparks/par...carrswharf.cfm). As far as the Magothy river goes, there are plenty of marinas that have ramps but there will be a fee. Ferry Point Marina in Arnold had a deal for $10 to launch 2 kayaks. I'm not sure if this still applies.
          The link to the web site that Dogfish mentioned is http://www.aacounty.org/RecParks/launch/index.cfm.
          Hobie PA 12

Comment

I have a boat ramp in my neighborhood, i am going to try and get in touch with the association to see if we cant allow access to yakers.. maybe like 5 bucks or something, i doubt the ramp key will be provided, but a short walk to the ramp wouldn't hurt anyone

ill keep posted on the answer if we can use this.. I am on the magothy inside of greys creek.
            Zach Moore
            Delaware Paddle Sports Fishing Team
            Fishal Custom Baits Pro Staff
            Bait Towel Pro Staff
            2017 Hobie Pro Angler 12
            YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSa...8WkC2WzHhAjVaQ

Comment

Thanks to everyone for all of the suggestions! Does anybody know which launches on John's map are 24/7?

Comment

The Tucker St ramp is at the end of a residential street. If you choose to launch there, please pay attention to the no parking signs and be as quiet and respectful as possible to avoid any conflict with the neighbors.

The other two areas are in public parks. I am not aware of any time restrictions, but it is worth checking when you get there. I know that plenty of kayakers launch before day break in the morning and others may be out after dark in the evening.
                John Veil
                Annapolis
                Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Can anyone tell me if its possible to launch from Carrs Wharf before sunrise? AA county's site says sunrise but I didn't see any gates on google street view. Thanks

Comment

Jonas technically is sunrise to sunset. There is a public park off of Magothy Bridge Road that allows kayak launching. It is not well marked, but I have fished there in the presence of a DNR officer, so I assume it is perfectly acceptable. Parking feels a little weird as it is across the street from a residential area. Long walk to the water, too, but it will put you into fairly protected water. Good perch fishing.
                    LL Bean (Perception) Manatee DLX Angler 9.5'
                    Hobie Pro Angler 12

Comment

Working...
                    X