Looking for a fishing partner for Wed 9/12

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for a fishing partner for Wed 9/12

The weather looks calm for tomorrow. I plan to launch my center console (my existing boat, not the one I won on Sat) from Sandy Point about 9:30 tomorrow and be off the water by 3:00. I know where rockfish and blues have been holding a few miles south of the Bay Bridge, plus I may jig the bridge pilings too.

I have space for one other angler. If anyone wants to fish from a powerboat for a change, please pmail me by 9:00 pm tonight. First-come, first-serve.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

I would live to but I need to be back in by 11am (doctor appt)
    Hobie Revolution

Comment

Love to John- I'll take a rain check for next time- I am on the west coast until the 18th...might get a chance to get some pullage from the Columbia this weekend- chinook are running-
      "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
      2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
      "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
      Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

John, I just wanted to say that your offer to take another out on your boat to fish is a kind offer. One of the reasons I like this forum. Everyone treats each other nicely, willing to offer advice and information from where their favorite honey holes are to showing their latest home spun creations on rigging the yak. Sorry I can't make it but I assure you that I will be sitting behind my desk and thinking about fishing the bay.

Comment

At the risk of rubbing it in, I had a great trip today. I launched at 9:45, found a few pods of breakers as soon as I left the Sandy Pt inlet. They were small, so I headed toward the structure that has been holding fish for a while. It did not disappoint. There were several groups of breaking fish and no other boats around. I cast and jigged for the first hour, then switched to slowly trolling three medium light rods with 3/8-oz jigheads and twister tails (one of the rods had a Specialized bucktail with a small twister tail). After two hours, I left the fish biting. I had caught an estimated 50 stripers at 12", 10 more at 15", and single fish at 17", 18", and 19". Out of all those fish, I caught just one bluefish. The water was clear -- I could see hundred of 12" stripers chasing my lures through the water.

The Fishbelly Hawgshads that were included in my tournament Captains Bag last week are several inches long and slender. They look very much like the small silversides today's fish were feeding on. When I tossed them out on a jighead, the fish immediately slammed them. The plastic is very flexible and has a nice wobble. On the downside, they don't hold up very long among hungry fish.

After finishing there, I rode to the eastern side of the Bay Bridge and tried jigging the pilings. I saw no evidence of fish on the fishfinder -- and I caught none either.

I have a rapidly closing fishing window. Starting on Sept 22, I have extensive business travel for the next 6 weeks and will need to look hard to find time to fish. I will probably head out several more times between now and then in my center console. If anyone has an open week day and wants to go, give me a pmail.
          John Veil
          Annapolis
          Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Working...
          X