Wet cloder weather gear Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Launch boots

I got mine last year at NRS, online. After the discussion about cold weather gear, I have also noticed a pair of waterproof, stocking foot dry bottoms from NRS. They almost look like waders. That may be an alternative to waders if one is so inclined. They have a neoprene band around the waist to form a semi-seal for the foul weather top, $159.

Thanks for checking out Thomas Point Park. It is ashame not to be able to launch there. It would such a great area to fish. I launch further back in the South River at Hillsmere. That area, the mouth of the South River is good fishing. However, the area around the Thomas Point shoal is very good fishing.

If anyone is interested in fishing the South River Thursday or Friday of this week let me know. I am planning to fish on those days. I can make one of them on the South River. I'll post this as a new thread.

Comment

Kokatat launch boots

Eastern Mountain Sports has the model of the Kokatat Launch Boots that I have. I saw the launch socks. You would have to wear crocs or reef shoe over the launch socks. The launch boots are knee high.http://http://www.ems.com/product/in...ductId=3668545

I hope I got the link correct. If I didn't you can find them at the Eastern Mountain site.

Comment

Dry pants

These might be an option as opposed to waders. They may fit more like pants. They are on the nrs web site under a search of kokatat.

[ATTACH]315[/ATTACH]

i might give these a try myself. They are less expensive than the waders i was going to buy. YOU WOULD STILL HAVE TO BUT SOME TYPE OF REEF SHOE TO WEAR OVER THE STOCKING FOOT.
        Attached Files

Comment

This is why this site is great. Thanks for all the options posted here.

Dogfish,
          I was looking over the NRS web sit and that's kind what i was thinking. The pants with socks look promising. i could get a splash top now and add a dry top later in the year. After I add up everything i will probably be in the neighborhood of a dry suit but at least i can swap pieces out according to the conditions.

Redfish,
          I would def like to see the two tops when you get back.

Is under Armour the best choice for layers in colder weather or will plain fleece clothing work?

Comment

Brrrrrrrr

The UA would be more of a long underwear. Fleece would be worn over the UA and under the waterproof layer. The UA would act like a vapor barrier, moving humidity toward the fleece and out the high tec, waterproof layer. That is why I like the rain type jackets. I can adjust for changing conditions or interior heat of the clothing. When heavy paddling you will generate more heat, when lesser paddling you will have less heat. There are times when you can open up the top alittle to vent and close up when chilly. The bottoms are to keep you dry all around, rain, splash, paddle drip, etc.

I know, I like the Kokatat dry pants alot. I think I am going to give them a try. I can wear a pair of light fleece pants under those. I also like to mix and match for conditions. I tend to be one for hooded rain jackets, with a ball cap underneath. For what it is worth, the stripers tend to like those foul fall conditions.

Good Luck.
            Last edited by DOGFISH; 09-15-2010, 12:22 PM. Reason: addition

Comment

Originally posted by mmanolis2001 View Post

Kevin,
              What kind of top do you use with your waders, Dry - Semi Dry - Splash?
              i use AFTCO raingear, its just a rain jacket.

and kokatat waders

Comment

Thanks again for all the info.

I decided to go on the cheap and bought a Bayman Pullover Dry Top It has neoprene Neck and sleeve gaskets and a removable hood. Its not a full dry top more like a rain jacket with gaskets but they had my size and at $120 i think it should work. I also ordered a pair of Bass pro shop breathable stocking foot waders (white river) for $79. This should keep me dry and comfortable at least until Nov.

Just when i think i have all expenses covered i spend another chunk of change.
                Last edited by mmanolis2001; 09-20-2010, 01:01 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X