Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Suggested place for red drum, croaker and trout?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggested place for red drum, croaker and trout?

Some of my goals I set out to accomplish, like many others, were to catch a fish every month and as many species as possible for 2012. I am now up to 25 species, and hoping to expand my list by a few more.

Can anyone suggest a place for the best chance to catch a red drum, croaker and trout in one trip?

PLO maybe? South? Pax?

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated in helping a poor kayak fishing addict get his fix!

Justin

They caught all three of those species in Eastern Bay during the CBKA tournament. I don't know about trout, but it sounds like a lot of Redfish in the South.

Comment

I had two banner redfish days at PLO earlier this year but no keepers. Caught some decent croaker there, too, but I haven't really tried much for croaker since then. I haven't had any luck with trout on the western shore. You might have a higher probability of getting all three by taking a trip with Capt. Brady Bounds to the Eastern Shore. Lynnhaven, Rudee, and the Back River in VA are probably good bets, too.
      Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
      Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Them trout are hard to find. I've spent the last few weekends hunting for some in the honga river in Dorchester county to only find small under size ones i think they are this years hatch. But the reds are all over the place down there eaven some slot size ones. And i even caucght a few croker while fishing for flounder in the same place.

Comment

Caught all three at Janes island labor day weekend.

Comment

I am heading St. Jerome's Creek tomorrow (Thursday). I am launching from Buzz's Marina. My goal is catching the first western shore keeper speck. Reds and Stripers can be bycatch. I may try for Flounder.

Joe
            Fish like there's no tomorrow.
            Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
            https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Comment

heading to janes isl and tangier sound for them on saturday

Comment

You stand a better chance in saltier water. That means head south in the bay and/or fish on the eastern shore side. The water movement in the bay tends to push incoming saltier water in a counter-clockwise motion. That means for the same distance from the bay's mouth, an eastern shore location will be saltier than the equivalent spot on the western side.

The suggestions to fish at Point Lookout/St. Jeromes Creek or Janes Island/Tangier sound are good ideas for catching the redfish and trout. Croaker should be easier to find.
                John Veil
                Annapolis
                Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

These are fantastic suggestions and intel, I really appreciate it! I'm also on the hunt for a saltwater beetlespin.

Here's a report I just found today - western shore speck: http://www.visitstmarysmd.com/fishin...-cool-fishing/

A lot of you mentioned going west to the Honga, Tangier etc. And the understanding of the salinity levels with the counter clockwise push of saltwater into the bay is pretty cool. Great info!

Now the hard part... I need to butter up the wife for a few days.

Comment

Justin,
                    If you are serious join the guys hitting Janes island. I think that is a sure thing for all 3 species
                    If you don't want to go that far hit Honga Island #3. there are trout in St Mary's County but they are fickle! I have spent the whole summer chasing them.
                    14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
                    2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

hey i just looked at the article...don't plan on fishing the PAX or cedar point this weekend.....Speed boat races!
                      14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
                      2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

For a saltwater beetle spin, check out a Redfish Magic or the one made by Bomber. If you hit PLO/St. Jerome's, you can pick up big gold spinner arms at the Tackle Box. It's the same as the one that comes with the Redfish Magic.
                        Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
                        Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Originally posted by kevinfry View Post
                          Justin,
                          If you are serious join the guys hitting Janes island. I think that is a sure thing for all 3 species
                          If you don't want to go that far hit Honga Island #3. there are trout in St Mary's County but they are fickle! I have spent the whole summer chasing them.
                          Thanks for the heads up Kevin

Comment

Originally posted by ictalurus View Post
                            For a saltwater beetle spin, check out a Redfish Magic or the one made by Bomber. If you hit PLO/St. Jerome's, you can pick up big gold spinner arms at the Tackle Box. It's the same as the one that comes with the Redfish Magic.
                            If PLO is in the near future looks like the Tacklebox is right on the way, thanks

Comment

Working...
                            X