kayaking help?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• kayaking help?

Ok so I'm buying one soon ill be getting a pelican castaway 100 for 250 would I be able To go into the Chesapeake bay?

Thanks and also if that isn't good enough recommend me one r
    And a good rod and reel for the bay... Thanks guys

You may want to wait until Dick's has a sale and get a little more substantial kayak. West Marine also has sales on their Pompano 12(made by Perception). These would be better suited for bigger water.
    As for a rod and reel, a 30 or 40 size spinning reel and a 6-7 ft medium weight, fast action rod. 15-20 lb braided line and you are good to go.
    Hobie PA 12

Comment

Unless you're an experienced Kayaker, I would be careful venturing out into the Bay's open waters. The wind is the biggest factor in open water, and sometimes very difficult to predict. There's plenty of good fishing in the protected areas of the Bays rivers, inlets and coves. It's more interesting too, you'll see a lot of wildlife that you won't see out in open water.

If you do get out in the Bay, just make sure you can high tail it back to protected water in a hurry, like at Sandy Point closer to the launch area. I've been in squalls in much bigger boats, and was thankful we made it back in alive.

Comment

Ok Thanks guys but other then the bay is that a decent kayak for fishing? and good for price

Comment

I agree about the Pompano. It gets good reviews and goes on sale every so often.

Comment

I expect to have a used kayak for sale in the next few days. I bought Chimo's Malibu Mini-X this week. After I have had a chance to paddle it for an hour or so, I will most likely sell my Ocean Kayak Drifter. It is a decent boat, but because it has been used many times, it shows it's age. Therefore the price will be set lower than a newer boat. Stay tuned. It would be a more seaworthy boat than a new Pelican.
            John Veil
            Annapolis
            Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Working...
            X