Another new kayak advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another new kayak advice

After doing some research on the web, including the forum, I have set my mind on a Jackson cuda 12. (First kayak...)
    However, before committing to a significant investment, I would like to hear opinions from experienced kayakers. Can I go wrong with
    the Cuda 12 for the Chesapeake bay area and lakes?
    Last edited by migur; 09-16-2012, 04:35 PM.

cuda is an awesome yak, if u like to paddle. If you want to troll easier and fish longer farther etc.. look at the hobie outback, revolution, or pro angler.
    Zach Moore
    Delaware Paddle Sports Fishing Team
    Fishal Custom Baits Pro Staff
    Bait Towel Pro Staff
    2017 Hobie Pro Angler 12
    YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSa...8WkC2WzHhAjVaQ

Comment

I will like to start paddling; maybe not covering long distances: Although I suspect that if the fishing bug gets worst,
      the hobie will be the next upgrade...

Comment

If you want to check the cuda out in person, they have them at Paddlehouse Outfitters, just off Rt 50 near Ocean City. They do look nice. Jackson Kayaks are doing a good job in the kayak fishing market.

Comment

I chose to go with a heck of a deal on a OK Prowler 13. Great all around yak. However, after seeing all of the guys that have hobies travel nearly effortlessly, and fish while doing so, makes me wish I would have just saved a bit and dropped the coin on a hobie that I want.

Personally, try it out first. Then try out a hobie. Paddling isn't that bad, but why walk when you can drive???

Comment

I'm looking hard at the Cuda 12 as well. The features that appeal to me are the comfortable high-low seat, how it's built to be stood up on (stability), the long center hatch, all the thoughtful storage areas, the color options, and the room to be able to have my son on board for when I go out on small ponds and lakes.

It should do perfectly fine in lakes and ponds, and should be perfectly stable in the bay as well. My only concern would be with tracking and being blown around in open waters on a 12' kayak with a flat bottom. If you want to fish open waters in the bay, I would recommend going with the rudder option on the Cuda 12. I currently have a OK Prowler 13 with a rudder, and have a difficult time keeping up when I fish with others on Hobies - especially when we're in current or wind. I can only imagine how much more difficult it will be in the Cuda 12 which is wider and shorter.

Also, if standing in the boat is one of the factors that appeals to you, note that there are several Cuda 14 owners online who report that Drew Gregory makes it look a lot easier than it is.

If you do choose to go with the Cuda 12, please share your opinions!
            Sun Fishin'

Comment

I have tried a Hobie before, and it really is very convenient for distance and effort. Is it very difficult to transport on a car, as it is heavier?
              The rudder is a must, if I go on for the cuda.
              I also don't rely too much on my standing skills... it is like seeing a pro handling a mountain bike.... not for a regular guy like me.

Comment

The pro anglers are quite heavy and bulky looking. Maybe some guys that have them can chime in. If you don't have any medical conditions or limitations, might as well go with a hobie. I do see a couple older guys on here loading and unloading into truck beds and one guy on top of a suv at the recent CBKA tournament. The revolutions and outbacks compare weight wise with most comparable yaks. And they are still excellent boats to fish from.

Comment

To me, OK Trident 13 looks better than Cuda 12.

The stern hatch on Cuda is useless for my needs. The bow hatch on Cuda is too small for storing bigger items such as cart. I prefer a big bow hatch to store a cart and extra cloths in the bags (in winter).

Joe
                  Fish like there's no tomorrow.
                  Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
                  https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Comment

Originally posted by Sun View Post
                    I'm looking hard at the Cuda 12 as well. The features that appeal to me are the comfortable high-low seat, how it's built to be stood up on (stability), the long center hatch, all the thoughtful storage areas, the color options, and the room to be able to have my son on board for when I go out on small ponds and lakes.

If you do choose to go with the Cuda 12, please share your opinions!
                    This about sums it up for me. The cuda 12 will be my next spare / shallow water / paddle yak while I keep a hobie revo around for longer trips fishing the bay and ocean.

Comment

Guess it will be my last question; then time for action.

Are there good options for fishing short distances and "calm" water in the bay? I understand there is always a degree of unpredictable conditions. And thanks for
                      the very good advice from everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by migur View Post
                        Guess it will be my last question; then time for action.

Are there good options for fishing short distances and "calm" water in the bay? I understand there is always a degree of unpredictable conditions. And thanks for
                        the very good advice from everyone.
                        Just about any yak will work for those conditions. I started in a 10ft sit in yak and fished the Bay bridge, Lewes De, St Jeromes etc without any issues. Some of it in less than favorable conditions. A sit on top yak is better for the bay / ocean because it can't be sunk unless you put a hole in it but if you pick and choose your times most any yak will work. I don't know how well the Cuda 12 will track or what the paddling effort needed will be but I am sure it will be more than capable of handling the conditions in the bay.

Comment

i have the Jackson Big Tuna and havent stopped grinning yet. I dont fish the Bay but based on what i read here may have to consider it. It is very stable..in all seating configurations...havent tried standing...but i am 6-3 i dont think the Jackson guy is close to that tall...My Tuna tracks straight as an arrow while paddling but at 85 lbs and 14+ feet long it does require a bit more paddling than i hoped...i was hoping for paddle/paddle/glide but if you want to keep moving you gotta keep paddling. I dont know where you live but John at Delaware Paddlesports in Lewes Delaware is great to deal with. I would take my Jackson on the Bay anytime, but would listen to the National Weather Service on the way to the ramp and keep an eye on the sky while out there. I will be fishing it at the Outer Banks this fall if the surf isnt too big...good luck with your search. Kayak fishing is the bomb.
                          Jackson - BIG TUNA

Comment

Migur weighs only 180lb.
                            Fish like there's no tomorrow.
                            Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
                            https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Comment

Good memory, and thanks for the "just"... I will [try keep pounds down] doing some mountain biking, swimming, paddling... and trying to stand up on my new cuda 12!
                              Made my mind and the order. (I tend to be a little late for many things, for example, the malibu kayak for sale...)
                              Next time: picture with the kayak. And I hope I will be able to contact some member of the forum for more fine grained hands on paddle on fishing tips...

thanks again to all.
                              Last edited by migur; 09-18-2012, 06:49 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X