• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

cool...ill be out there. i have a grey hobie revo
    Hobie Revolution 13
    Hobie Fishing Team

Comment

LItoMD (got to shorten that) and i are going for the breakfast bite early sunday, hopefully back in time for the game.

Comment

What a rough day today at the bridge. The whole drive down i was watching the tree tops and flags. All were silent.

Severn river looked calm with a slight wind. Started the drive over the bay bridge and smack in the face. Choppy and windy Guess i should have looked at the weather report this morning.

Got on the water around 8:00 AM and made my way to the first few pylons. I then realized it would be a grind to catch today. It was windy and wave were rolling in. Took longer to get my spot because of this. After 30 min i had 10 in the bucket. I don't think i stopped paddling for more than 1 min the the first half of the day fishing. I tried the East bound span but that was nuts over there. I went back to the West bound span and was able to sneak in behind the Pylons and hold up in the eddy.

I was using a 1 oz sinker above the swivel to keep the bait down and remove any slack in the line. I was paddling the whole time holding position against the pylons and had the rod braced under my leg. This was the only way for me to effectively fish the pylons today.

I hit every Pylon from 16 ft to 20 ft with only one short take. I then tried the pylon on the edge of the secondary channel in 50Ft of water. Got behind the Pylon and dropped the bait. On the way do it got ate. Nice fat 22". I re-baited and made a second drop and same result skinny 20" striper. Both fish hit the spot on the way down. I keep both and continued to fish the Pylon. Managed 1 more short fish and lost 4 others.

Around 12:30 pm i started paddling back to shallower water to jig the pylons. The water calmed down and it was a nice relaxing finish to the day. There were small blues busting bait between the spans. Maybe 8" to 10" and they made short work of my bassin assassin's. I need to go to the store for some metal. I made my way back to the first set of pylons and found a little channel there. I didn't realize it before. It drops from 5' to 8' and has a nice sand bar pointing out from the rock pile. I hooked a small rock on the jig there but it let loose at the boat.

Another fun day on the water. I am glad i have a bigger boat on the way. The Trident 15 will be much more comfortable in rougher conditions. This was probably my last voyage in the tarpon. It went out in style

It was nice seeing board members out there. There was a small army of Kayaks there today. I counted at least 7 through the day.

jffoley,
        How did you manage today? I saw you enjoying a cold beverage in that fine boat

Comment

Nice report. I have been hearing all the talk of blues. I hoped they were larger that the small snappers. All in all sounds like you had a good day in spite of the weather. When the wind comes from either direction of the length of the bay, or any river, there will be chop. The 15' Trident will be a good boat, easy to paddle.

Looks like there were numerous cold beverages out there today and not just for scale.

Comment

I can't remember all the names of everyone I met today, but it was nice to meet each of you.

I got on the water around 7:30am and left 6:00pm. I feel like I'm bobbing up and down now.

I didn't have any problems catching spot, they seemed to be everywhere. I did have a problem with the blues chomping on them however.

I mainly fished the east bound bridge, all the way out to the secondary channel. Got 2 right around 20" , 2 short and missed 2.

The blues were making the surface boil at times. Several times I was right in the middle of the blitz. Although I had a hard time figuring out what the blues would hit consistantly.

Thinking about going out tomorrow.
            -Jimbo-

Berkley Powerpro - 100 yrd spool - 30#
            Berkley Powerpro - 100 yrd spool - 20#
            Fishbites - Saltwater version

Comment

I found the water at the BB to be pretty calm compared to last time. I did arrive around 11am though. Followed through with the plan but almost got skunked because the blues were destroying every spot I threw in. Finally on the last spot and at the final hour, I managed to hook a 32" who took me for a ride to the middle of the 2 spans. He was hiding on the east bound pilings around 19ft of water.

Last edited by HokieDJ; 09-18-2010, 10:02 PM.

Comment

Nice fish. IT WAS WELL WORTH THE RIDE AND THE PADDLE BACK.

Comment

Nice catchin', Mike. WTG! Yes, a bit breezy from the NE in the early going. Made for some bounce out there. It settled down nicely in the afternoon.

Originally posted by mmanolis2001 View Post
                  jffoley,
                  How did you manage today? I saw you enjoying a cold beverage in that fine boat
                  Yes, several cold beverages were enjoyed today. I never over-indulge but had the missus and a friend as co-pilots so was able to relax on the stern a bit.

We ran out of Bodkin Creek in Pasadena today. Fished Snake Reef looking for spot with the idea for a run to the bridge for livelining. The friends with us today are newbies to the bay so was hoping to get them their first rock and a sampling of bottom dwellers. Well, lots of perch and only one spot!

Ran to the bridge to look for more spot and found the breakers. Got them their first rock, several dinks and small bluefish. Er, snappers. Managed one about 15" that pulled pretty good...

Originally posted by mmanolis2001 View Post

It was nice seeing board members out there. There was a small army of Kayaks there today. I counted at least 7 through the day.
                  Good seeing you out there, Mike! That was cool. Also saw a couple other kayakers. Waved at a few but the only one recognized was Mike. Look forward to meeting you guys!! Hope you had some success today!!

Comment

All these reports are making me jealous, I had to evict the people that where living in my old rowhome in Dundalk and have been fixing up the house every night and weekend ever since. Plumbing, painting, new bathroom, some light electrical work, floor sanding and coating and replacing some windows. Thank god for my father who is helping me, another two weeks and I will be back in the game!! Congrats on the fish!!

Comment

yeah, once again i didnt make it out. saturday i overslept and then sunday i was hungover from the Rush concert the night before..lol

sweet reports though!
                      sigpic

Comment

HokieDJ,
                        Congrats on that fish its a bruiser. I have yet to break the 30" club in the Yak. I hope a sleigh ride is in my immediate future. When it does I will have kick my heels on the side of the Yak and yell Yaaaahoooo during the ride.

I went again on Sunday with a friend in one of the SPSP rental boats. We fished hard for 4 hrs and had nothing to show for it. Looked like a perfect day as well. Lots of boats on the West side of the bridge. Maybe all the pylons got picked clean before we made it out there at 9:30AM

Comment

It's got to be the most exciting thing on my yak to date for sure. I actually didn't realize I had him hooked because there was a slight pause and when I brought in the line, the drag started singing and I felt his strength. I was excited and scared the line would break. My first thought was damm, I got a ray. I caught rocks his size before on a friend's boat but never on a yak and don't remember the fight was this hard. I just got lucky but I love to experience it again soon .

Comment

Working...
                          X