Need for a decent first aid kit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need for a decent first aid kit

Last saturday I was out fishing with a few people off of hoopers island. The water and wind was rough to say the least. We did manage a few fish in the cooler. I had a big time case of the dumbass. While cutting a piece of rope on some drift trash to obtain a stainless steel clip, the locking mechanism on my flding knife gave way and i pushed the blade straight into my dominant index finger. I fortunatly had a small pack of bandaids on board which helped to contain the blood as I continued to fish and finally paddled back to the ramp. I plan on putting together a good first aid kit to take with me. Here is my brainstorm on items... feel free to add suggestions...

Gauze
    roll cling gauze
    dermabond (skin superglue)
    cravats for splinting
    bandaids
    a 2 foot piece of heavy mono (hook extraction)
    tweezers
    alcohol swabs
    a space blanket
    small roll of duct tape
    clotting powder
    compression mesh for joint wounds

This is the basics but can do a lot of injuries that may not need some help from the coast guard or other passing boater. All will be stored in a water tight box... (probably rubbermaid since they are cheaper)

solid pair of side cutters - for when you have to either cut a hook and push it through or cut it off and seek medical attention (Leatherman just won't do it sometimes)
    butterflies
    Nexcare Tegaderm - like a clear waterproof bandage that doesn't stick to the wound. Works well wrapping around a finger or thumb.
    LL Bean (Perception) Manatee DLX Angler 9.5'
    Hobie Pro Angler 12

Comment

If you guys are of the age where you are getting the annual physical, next time have your Doc give you a tetanus/dipthereia/whooping cough immunization. They are good for about 10 years. Although the chances are slim, one never knows for sure what the e-coli or other toxin count is in whatever water you're in, and it doesn't take much to cause a severe illness through an open wound. If you do get a deep cut, clean and dress it right, KEEP IT DRY and keep fishing if it's not still bleeding! With all the surface cuts, scrapes and and hook punctures we give ourselves each time out, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure, and can save a hot fishing trip and a long and frustrating trip to the E.R. to get a needed shot.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishinfool View Post
        If you guys are of the age where you are getting the annual physical, next time have your Doc give you a tetanus/dipthereia/whooping cough immunization. They are good for about 10 years. Although the chances are slim, one never knows for sure what the e-coli or other toxin count is in whatever water you're in, and it doesn't take much to cause a severe illness through an open wound. If you do get a deep cut, clean and dress it right, KEEP IT DRY and keep fishing if it's not still bleeding! With all the surface cuts, scrapes and and hook punctures we give ourselves each time out, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure, and can save a hot fishing trip and a long and frustrating trip to the E.R. to get a needed shot.
        Good thought. The shot you're talking about is TDAP. Makes your shoulder hurt for a few days. We have a baby on the way and I just had one.

My marine mechanic got pretty sick last year from a mosquito bite that got infected when he got in the Magothy. Scary. I think about that every time I get stuck by a white perch.
        LL Bean (Perception) Manatee DLX Angler 9.5'
        Hobie Pro Angler 12

Comment

Yep. The shot was not that bad for me. Just had it yesterday, and my arm is only sore when I press on it.

Comment

west marine has a nice first aid kit. i just keep napkins and electrical tape in a baggie(;

Comment

Working...
            X