How do you get your keepers home???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you get your keepers home???

So I had two keeper blues tonight - a 13 and a 15 - but wasn't real sure how I would get them home. I have a sit in and there are no "secure" compartments. The last thing I want is a p'd off bluefish flopping around my feet. A big rock would be an issue, too. So...how do you get them home?
    LL Bean (Perception) Manatee DLX Angler 9.5'
    Hobie Pro Angler 12

with air and water temps heading back down you're probably ok using a stringer. I have enough room on both yaks to bring a cooler for fish in the summer.
    Ryan
    Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
    Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

can you fine a place for a small soft cooler inside the yak somewhere? if not, just strap a soft cooler on top in front or behind you.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by stupidjet View Post
        can you fine a place for a small soft cooler inside the yak somewhere? if not, just strap a soft cooler on top in front or behind you.
        Sure, but what do I do with a 20 something inch rock until he's subdued? Granted, based on what I've been catching that's wishful thinking...
        Hobie Pro Angler 12

Comment

Doug,
          Costco has nice cooler bags that would hold a 20 something fish and ice. They only cost $8-$10.
          Hobie PA 12

Comment

I use the big COSTCO insulated bag as a fish bag- I put a 24 inch and a 29 inch Rock in a smaller bag last fall with no problems at all- The soft sided bags fold flat until ready to use
            "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
            2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
            "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
            Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

you can "subdue" a fiesty Blue or Rock by slicing the vein connecting the bottom of their gill plates. The fish will bleed out in a matter of a minute or two. Also makes for a much tastier meat as well. Its the same concept as bleeding a game animal, or Hog/Cow for you non-hunters.
              -Wilderness Systems Tarpon 160
              -Heritage FeatherLite 12

Comment

Buy them enough drinks so they cant drive home then....... wait, what do you mean by "keepers".. I practice catch and release....
                Interstate Kayak Fishing

Comment

Thanks, guys!

MDFishin - so I'm cutting parallel to the length of the fish right between the gills? I've seen a fish bled out, but he was already floating upside down in the live well. Not to get too graphic, but do you hold him in the water to bleed him or do you do it on the yak? I'm thinking I probably don't want a cooler bag full of fish blood.

Ed - Nice meeting you yesterday! I hope we get a chance to fish together again.
                  Hobie Pro Angler 12

Comment

Originally posted by Pinch View Post
                    Buy them enough drinks so they cant drive home then....... wait, what do you mean by "keepers".. I practice catch and release....
                    Yeah, I used to practice catch and release exclusively. Caught a keeper twelve years ago...holy crap...twelve years...now I feel old.
                    Hobie Pro Angler 12

Comment

Originally posted by dsiekman View Post
                      Sure, but what do I do with a 20 something inch rock until he's subdued? Granted, based on what I've been catching that's wishful thinking...
                      I started kayak fishing using a sit inside Old Town Kayak. I towed a stringer of perch around behind me and cussed as the fish acted as a rudder. I was constantly fighting the kayak pulling me to the right. This was one of the reasons I went all out and got the Hobie with plenty of storage in the back. I now carry two coolers. An 18" hard cooler with a bag of ice in it for fish, and a smaller six pack cooler for water to drink, snacks. I just toss the fish in the big cooler. They flop around a little till they chill out. Anything too big for my cooler will be photographed and thrown back.
                      Hobie Outback

Ken Smith

Comment

Originally posted by smif42 View Post
                        I started kayak fishing using a sit inside Old Town Kayak. I towed a stringer of perch around behind me and cussed as the fish acted as a rudder. I was constantly fighting the kayak pulling me to the right. This was one of the reasons I went all out and got the Hobie with plenty of storage in the back. I now carry two coolers. An 18" hard cooler with a bag of ice in it for fish, and a smaller six pack cooler for water to drink, snacks. I just toss the fish in the big cooler. They flop around a little till they chill out. Anything too big for my cooler will be photographed and thrown back.
                        It might be cool to see everyone's cooler setup. I have been thinking of getting a smaller cooler like the 18inch and have it replace my milkcrate. I designed my yak so I can easily exchange out my anchored milkcrate with another milkcrate or cooler. I would likely add rodholders to the milkcrate.

Comment

Not ideal for a sit-in, but I recently got this...and love it.

<insert witty comment here>

Comment

Nice bag cooler Metro. That is sweet. How much does one cost? I am going to make something that I can adapt to my Revo setup....

Comment

Originally posted by Pinch View Post
                              word.
                              +1

Comment

Working...
                              X