Snakehead areas to fish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snakehead areas to fish

I know someone posted where to go an find snakeheads, so that prompted me to do some reasearch. They are truly spreading out, so I wanted to know if anyone from on here has caught/seen them more to the north on the potomac. I am talking up around the senca area and point of rocks. Just wanted to see what the range has spread to be up the potomac. Any other areas that you might have encountered them too.
    Keith
    2012 Hobie Pro Angler 14

I've seen none above Great Falls. Read a report of one being caught not far from White's Ferry though.

Comment

I'm in the same boat as you... the good snakehead hunting grounds are too far away for a day trip. However, during the spring, there are lots of snakeheads in the Potomac where the river hits tideline just inside of DC. This area is ~1hr-20min from Emmitsburg, MD where I live. The most popular spots on the Potomac are at Fletcher's Boat House and at Chain Bridge. I STRONGLY advise looking this area over well before the fishing season starts, like early/mid March. Best exploratory time would be a Sunday morning in March... no fishing, just exploring. If you have a mountain bike then take that and ride up and down the C&O tow path looking at access. This area has some unique traffic patterns that will confuse a country boy. Getting into Fletchers Boat House can be very tricky if you arrive at the wrong time from the wrong direction.

BTW, this same area also has huge runs of hickory shad in April plus stripers and white perch during pril and May. Go look it over some Sunday morning.
      Howard

16' Oldtown Camper Canoe with a side-mount 40# thrust trolling motor.

Comment

Working...
      X