Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Va Eastern Shore (Cherrystone) Fishing report

Hutch's Fishing Report

Cherrystone Family Camping Resort will update this fishing report weekly through mid-October, later if conditions warrant. It is compiled by Bob Hutchinson, seasonal camper site # 143. Hutch is the retired outdoors editor for hunting and fishing for The Virginian-Pilot of Norfolk. Find out the latest on fishing at Cherrystone.

HUTCH'S FISHING REPORT WEEK OF SEPTEMBER 24, 2012

I was gonna start this report by saying that the big news is that the striped bass countdown has begun. But I have a more-important item. Puppy drum are everywhere and hitting practically anything you drop into salt water. Unfortunately, most are under the 18-inch minium. But the numbers are astounding and the fish are getting bigger every day.

Puppies, actually immature red drum or redfish or channel bass, are scattered all over the place, mostly in shallow water. The Richards family -- Tyler, Lynn and Roy -- Cherrystone family campers from Newsoms, VA, landed more than 140 recently from the campground's No. 3 pier. Unfortunately, only three were big enough to keep. Puppy drum make excellent table far and are identifiable by dime-size black spots near the tail. I have a friend who recently caught more than 100 . . . by himself . . . on a fly rod.The reds were still hitting when he quit fishing at 9:30 p.m. . . . in the dark.

The Richards family caught their drum on small white jigs cast from the pier into shallow water. Remember, only redfish between 18 and 26 inches are legal and the personal bag limit is thee a day.

Big red drum are showing in Chesapeake Bay waters off Cherrystone Family Camping Resort. Actually, the fish are spread along channel edges and in deep water from Nassawadox Creek to Kiptopeke. Some of the better catches are being made off Hungars Creek and around Bay buoy "42." The best action is in late afternoon and after sunset, with the top offering cut bait fished on or near the bottom from sliding fish-finder rigs.

Ethan Willett of Parksley, VA, released 48.5-inch and 46-inch redfish at buoy 42, which is just north of the old degaussing cell site, demolished, marked by buoy "WT2."

More good news: speckled trout are hitting on both sides, "Bayside" and "Seaside," of the lower Eastern Shore. This beautiful shallow-water prize can be taken on artificial lures, especially MirrOlures. Look for them in water between 2 and 8 feet. Remember, the limit on speckled trout is 10 daily of at least 14 inches. Best action bounces from spot-to-spot, day-to-day.

Elsewhere, while action has slowed, some croaker are hitting on both sides of the lower Eastern Shore. Some days the fish are very small, the next day's catches can contain some hardheads of more than a pound. While the fish will hit both squid and shrimp, they'll also take peeler crab and artificial Fishbites. Terminal tackle is simple: a two-hook, high-low bottom rig, 1/0 or smaller hooks and just enough sinker to keep bouncing along the bottom. Some decent size fall spot are also biting in the same waters.

Meanwhile, flounder are in deep waters of the Chesapeake and around and just offshore of Seaside ocean inlets. However, the biggest are along the 17.6-mile-long Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel, where anglers also will find some spadefish and sheepshead. And small bluefish and Spanish mackerel are scattered along both sides of the lower Eastern Shore.

Although the best is history, a few tarpon probably remain in Seadide waters out of the village of Oyster, five or so miles east of Cherrystone Family Camping Resort. These "tropical" fish show in these beautiful, treacherous, challenging waters during the hottest part of summer. About 350 have been caught since the first in 1955. That includes about 12 this year. But this is slow fishing, at best. I tell folks it's a great sport for those who enjoy having the sun bake their brains out while biting flies attempt to consume the remains.

It's farther away than my favorite place, the productive and often intimidating CBBT, but Cherrystone is tempting. Thanks for the heads up.
    2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

My grandparents were seasonal campers there for over 30 years! I spent much of my childhood and teen years camping there as well as alot of my family. I havent been there since they went under new management (about the time they added the "water park") i willing to bet i spent more time at this campground then i did at my own home. I hope to make a reunion trip there this summer. well see how that plays out.

Now that memories are starting to come back...the teen dances, the sneaking out late at night with girls you met, sneaking beers out of our parents coolers, riding bikes after dark and having them confiscated until the next morning. Oh, how i genuinely miss Cherrystone!!

Comment

Working...
      X