From the River to the Bay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• From the River to the Bay

Hey folks, looking for some quick advice. First, anyone who needs a good launch from Rich Neck near St. Mike's on the ES is welcome to my ramp, showers, beer (and blinds if you're into the geese) on the ES. Now the less important thing. Short version: need two good boats for the Chesapeake. Long version: I live on the Potomac (Brookmont) and go out for smallies couple times a week with the wife (yes, lucky lucky lucky, she's as into it as me) in our Tarpon 120s at Swains, Pennyfield, etc. We've also got a place near the mouth of the Miles at Eastern Bay, and looking to get into the surface stripers ASAP in the yaks, but the Tarpons feel a wee bit, well, wee out there. Looking for more open water speed to cruise the stretch from Claiborne to Tilghman, and a ride that can handle what waves and weather may come our way out there. Have been looking at Trident 13s, Ultra 4.3s, Cuda's, and Tarpon 140s. Looking for thumbs up or down on any, as well as other suggestions.

PS, I'm large (6' 220), she's not. Go figure.

Comment

Why wouldn't the 120's work? I beleive they are the most popular fishing kayak ever built.....
      14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
      2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

They work great and we love them so. But still looking for more storage and speed for the day-long hauls from the Miles down to Tilghman and back. Tarps would live in DC for the Potomac and whatever comes next would live in Claiborne. Eyeing the 4.3s more than the rest. Any knocks on them?

Comment

Nope- not that I know of- but I am touting my boat- I love it- tough, fast, big-water boat- lots of storage- 12 footer that is extremely stable at 33 inches wide- the Outback is a tank- the SUV of fishing kayaks-
          "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
          2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
          "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
          Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

I must go along with the Hobies for the bay. However, if you must have or really want to paddle, you may want to look at the Malibu Stealth 12 or 14. The Ocean Kayak Big Game is also a large kayak. Just remember the larger and wider kayaks take more effort to paddle. If storage and weight capacity is a factor then the larger kayaks may be an answer. I personally went to a Hobie ProAngler, from an Ocean Kayak Big Game. You may also want to take a look at the Hobies. You may want to keep the 120s for the Upper Potomac. The peddle drive on the Hobies may be a problem around the rocks.

Comment

Have you looked at the Jackson Big Tuna? It's... Well, big. It can be configured for single or tandem. I bought mine in the spring and its working pretty good for me so far.
              Don Haller
              Chesapeake Beach, MD
              Blaze Orange, Jackson Kayak "Cuda 14"

“There can’t be good living, where there is not good drinking.”
              – Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Working...
              X