Susky help needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Susky help needed

Has anyone fished the Susky lately? I have never been and could use suggestions about where to launch.

You have Jean Roberts, Tydings, Millard Tydings (relatively unknown access to Swan Creek, see a video I took in the spring for more info), Lapidum, Conowingo, Perry Point Park, Elk Neck State Park.

That about covers them. It depends where you want to fish on the Susky. I've used them all except Elk Neck because it's a hike around the bay.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
    Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
    Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
    Kokatat Pro Staff
    Torqeedo Pro Staff
    Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
    Alan

Comment

There is also a soft launch up by the historic area at Susquehanna State Park in between Lapidum, and the Conowingo dam. Just look for the staircase leading down to the river right beyond the information sign. Also if you plan of fishing closer to the dam call 1-888-457-4076 to get information about amount of gates the dam has open. Seems like anything above 2 small units running and the current can be a handful for a yak.
      Mike

2015 Hidden Oak Slayer Propel 10

Comment

Russ - Go to the following Maryland DNR site:

http://www.dnr.state.md.us/boating/boatramps.asp

Once there click on Harford and Cecil Counties. Then click on each launch icon to get directions and details for each launch. Many of the launch sites are free to kayaks/canoes. Check the "Comments" section to see if it is free or not.
        Howard

16' Oldtown Camper Canoe with a side-mount 40# thrust trolling motor.

Comment

Thanks all. Any suggestions about which area/ramp would be best for Stripers this time of year? What about bass?

Comment

I haven't fished the Susky area since the spring C&R striper season... which, btw, was outstanding this spring!!! Right now stripers can be found at scattered locations from the Flats up to Conowingo Dam. The Susky from Rock Run Mill up to the dam can be a dangerous section to kayak unless you have a lot of experience and knowledge of the area... and I do mean lots! The Flats might be your best bet to start out fishing the area, and City Yacht Basin is the place to launch to fish the Flats, free for yakers. A fishfinder in perfect working order is crucial to finding fish on the Flats. And sorry, dunno much about large and smallmouth bass.
            Howard

16' Oldtown Camper Canoe with a side-mount 40# thrust trolling motor.

Comment

Largemouth can also be found on the flats but I'd stick to shorelines and weedbeds. I've also caught some nice largemouth up there in the weeds. There was a tournament out of anchor marina a few weeks back.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
              Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
              Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
              Kokatat Pro Staff
              Torqeedo Pro Staff
              Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
              Alan

Comment

Thanks for the information. A few of us from the Anne Arundel County area are thinking about doing a road trip to that area, maybe this Sunday, weather permitting. We welcome everyone else to come along, particularly anyone familiar with these waters. The Flats area sounds like a good place to start.

Comment

Russ- see your PM
                  there is a launch at the base of Shuresville Rd w/ ample parking
                  Sat & sunday are normally minimal flow from the dam 1 gate open USCGS Streamflow guage for the last 30 days seems to verify that .
                  I also took pics up there 2-3 years ago from the Port Deposit side at the old piers. at low tide this is subtle hill climb to the road where there is some parking (not much) but should be enough for a chase vehicle

Attached Files

Comment

Caution is very much needed if using the Shuresville Road launch. It is only 1/2 mile or so below the dam and the water level can rise to frightening velocity with only a few minutes of warning. it is the only place in more than forty years of canoeing that I rolled and flipped my canoe. Heed the sirens and get out of dodge!
                    Once you get down below the Deer Creek area the influence of the tail race outflow is much lessened.
                    By the Lapidum ramp it is hardly noticeable. Down below that you are in wider water, and the flats area. Then you deal more with wind, chop and wakes.

Comment

Working...
                    X