Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smallwood State Park (long read)

Hey everybody!

This post is somewhat related to kayak fishing, but more about this awesome community. Some of you may know that I work as a Ranger at Smallwood State Park on the Mattawoman Creek. I am extremely jealous of those of you who get to fish that beautiful creek while I just look out at it in between yelling at the kids that fish where they aren't supposed to. I have maybe seen 5 or 6 yak fishers in our park, but I don't think they belong to our awesome MKF community. I realize that for some reason our park still charges $10 for yaks to launch from our park and that might be a turn-off to most people. With that in mind, I have actively been trying to establish a kayak launch in our park so that the launch fee drops to the normal $3 fee, something much more manageable. I truly believe that completing the launch is within my reach, so I'll keep you updated my progression. The project is for you guys (and a little for me).

On a separate note, the reason that I have been sluggish with establishing our launch is because I have work myself to the bone to establish a nature center at Smallwood State Park. At the beginning of my contract we had a somewhat deserted building that I kept asking about until my manager decided to give me a key to shut me up. Three months, countless truck beds full of lumber, a few critters and roughly $10,000 worth of exhibit donations later, we have a brand spankin' new nature center. I would like to extend an open invitation to all MKF members, family and friends to the opening of the Sweden Point Discovery Center on Sunday, October 7th. We'll be open all day, but our ribbon cutting ceremony will be around our opening time of 10am. The rest of the day we'll have refreshments, craft projects for the kids and maybe a few programs done by yours truly. Maybe if enough people show up it'll convince the Maryland Park Service Superintendent (who apparently will be present), to give me a full time job. Hope to see you guys out there, if not happy fishing to all!
    Fishing adds years to your life, and life to your years.

Nice man!! congrats on finishing the project!! I hope they hook you up! I cna't make it due to work, but I hope it goes well!!

Comment

That's awesome. I'm not sure if I'll be able to make the grand opening, but it sounds like a lot of fun. I'll have to check it out the next time I hit the Mattawoman. I hope you get a chance to chat with the superintendent.
      Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
      Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Working...
      X