Fishin Carr Creek

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fishin Carr Creek

Planing on heading out to Carr creek for the first time this Saturday. Anybody know if I can launch from the naval academy golf course area? Anybody else plan on going out?
    Cheapo Field&Stream Eagle Talon

You probably need military id, or be a guest of one to launch from any Naval base property. Getting through the gate as a guest is no picnic either, bring plenty of id, and expect to fill out forms, etc. 9/11 was the game changer on that. Any military personnel, past or present, may
    chime in on this w/ more info. Good luck w/ that.

For what it's worth, here's the site on the Carr's Marina: http://www.cnic.navy.mil/Annapolis/F...inas/index.htm

Comment

Thanks for the link. I didn't know they had one.
      I do have access to the Naval base so that part isn't a problem. After eyeballing Google maps for a while, I think I'm gonna try to launch from Carr Creek Rd past what looks like a water treatment plant. Hopefully that road is open and there's enough room to get thru the trees. We'll see what happens. thanks again.

Comment

This post is for anyone with a military/govt ID that can get on on post OR anyone willing to paddle/pedal towards Carr Creek. I drove towards Carr's Creek road with the intent of launching there with an alternate of Alder Rd. FYI, Carr's Creek road is fenced off and a restricted access area. AND Alder Rd ends at the intersection of Carrs Creed road (fenced off and overgrown). So I turned around and drove towards Halligan road. Drove to the south east corner of the dock where there's a boat ramp that you can use. Unfortunately there was a bunch of shore fisherman fishing from the ramp. There was just enough room so I squeezed in. Wheeled my yak down and launched. I usually fish in the calm waters of the Magothy River so this choppy stuff was new to me. Showing my prowess as a kayak angler in front of the shore anglers, I headed in only to be welcomed with a wave that engulfed my SOT. Scupper hole plugs were the enemy today. Sitting in 2” of water I pressed on.

I paddled around the corner and headed north towards the creek only to be greeted with a sign that said "Rifle Range Keep Out Carr's Creek When Flashing Red"... it was flashing red. Not sure if it's always flashing (didn't hear any gun fire), but i heed the warning and trolled across the mouth of the creek with a 1/8 oz red and white road runner jighead with white peppered Berkley 2" grub. Trolled towards the second antenna tower and decided to reel in before i took the turn towards the southern tip. The entire time i was dragging a little 6" sriper for god knows how long. Took him off and went around towards the southern tip of the land towards the 3rd antenna. Along that riprap on the southern tip I caught 5 more trolling in a matter of 15 minutes. Mind you, they were all tiny (6-10"). Still fun, but not what I was looking for. The the wind kicked up several notches and i decided to head back. While heading back across the mouth i saw a fishing boat drive past the do not enter sign and go right up in the creek where i originally wanted to fish. WTF. After seeing that I decided to press my luck a little and headed a little past the sign and towards the mouth of the creek. I fished in the corner near Alder road. If you zoom in on google maps there's and X-shaped structure there. No clue what that is, but i caught a few white perch around it. 2 were 10" but most were around 6. It kinda stank there since there was a sewage pipe in the corner so I decided to head back towards the ramp and fish along the way. I stopped at the north east corner of the dock and cast towards what looked like a rain water drainage pipe. There I caught about 20 stipers. All small, about 10" or so. But I also caught 2 that were around 15" in the mix. Funny that the bigger ones were chilling with the smaller guys. Just as I released a striper, a shore fisherman with his entire family on the dock asked me if I was catching white perch. I yelled back with a "nah, just some small stripers". After that, I didn't get another fish. I'm not sure if it was because of my yelling that spooked the fish, the tide changing, or the stars misalignment, but I didn't get another bite. When it's hot, I'm never yelling from my kayak again.
        Last edited by Japyak; 10-06-2012, 10:52 PM.

Comment

For those of us who do not have access to the Naval facilities property, you can still get to the cove outside the mouth of Carrs Creek in 30-45 mins from Jonas Green. I paddled it several times during mid summer and trolled three rods most of the way. I caught a few perch on the way, but had nonstop perch action in the cove itself. I did not enter the creek mouth because of the flashing lights. I have fished in the creek before without much success, but would be happy to try again. You can also launch at Truxton park or at the small boat launch on Back Creek to get there.

During Sept, I took several groups of anglers to the same cove in my center console. We trolled slowly along the shoreline and caught perch and small rockfish each time. On one of the trips, a guy on my boat caught a 16" redfish on an ultralight rod in the cove.
          John Veil
          Annapolis
          Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Working...
          X