Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is this structure off the Calvert Cliffs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Slackdaddy View Post
    Hmm,
    I know a guy in CRE,, I have let him hunt my property in the past,, is there a community access in the Ranch Estates?
    And is the fishing any different off there, as opposed to NB or CB ?

Slack
    Cove point and Calvert cliffs have some pretty unique features for our side of the bay. Just look at the chart! if we could get permission to drop kayaks at Flag ponds beach then park above...that would be killer.
    14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
    2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

I know the Cove Point Community somewhat. My job (real estate) took me there two years ago, and the buyer and I walked the beach there a couple of times near the point. It's a beautiful sandy beach with a nice variety of shells; clam, scallop, oyster. Many of the homes there are second homes, and some residents are not there much after the summer ends. It's a fairly typical older bayside neighborhood, which means that it's pretty eclectic; some beautiful new renovations, and some old bank owned ramblers on the market for @ 150k ish.

I am not encouraging this per se, because it is a private community beach, but let's just say there are several stretches of road near the beach area where a guy w/ a yak could park somewhat discreetly and not really be noticed putting the boat in. It's not an area that would get hit on, so I really don't think any of the residents would mind much, or even take notice.

Captain Brady Bounds point is well taken though; Calvert Cliffs is a NUCLEAR power plant and potentially a big target for an enemy. That area is watched very closely, and rightly so. Chexone, I would not go spear fishing in that perimeter either. It's very likely that the water below the surface is monitored. You do not want to mess with a trained Coast Guard diver or maybe a Navy Seal on patrol in that situation. You could go from a hunter to a huntee in a hurry.
      Last edited by Fishinfool; 10-09-2012, 04:02 PM.

Comment

Fishing inside the security perimeter at the Cove Pt Gas Docks will get you arrested and prosecuted.

Fishing at the Calvert Cliffs Nuclear Power Plant is much more realistic, and while not near any close accessible launch site except private property, there are two possibilities. Flag Ponds park and/or the Long Beach/Flag Harbor area.

Last year, I hosted a trip with Icatutus to determine the possibilities and problems that I would encounter in providing a service to kayaks by launching off my guide boat. The first place we went was CCNPP and the photos were put on this site. It was a successful trip in every way, very easy to transport yaks from Solomons Boat ramp to a shallow area adjacent to the warm water outflow and fish were caught.

I then setup to provide two types of service to kayaks, mothership and taxi. Icatutus took a successful yak trip to South Marsh Island , with his dad and posted photos here. To date, there has been very little interest in launching from a guide boat, and my prices were dirt cheap, promotionally motivated and still the yaks didn't want to do that. Bluhaven Piers was willing to loan me yaks, or rent yaks, entirely supportive of this concept, assisted me with photos and sea trials and the idea just fizzled.

So here we are in the time of year when going to distant and remote places, even chasing breaking fish out in the ships channel four miles from shore is upon us.

Should I hold out even a scintilla of hope for a kayak booking ? As Bill stated, it was an idea ahead of it's time.

Comment

Captain Brady Bounds

Kayakers are do-it-your-selfers and independent sorts, generally speaking, so it may be a tough sell for the typical kayaker, especially us locals. That said, and you may not want to commit to a more complete business plan regarding your Kayak trips w/ the mother ship and taxi, but in case you get inspired here are a couple of ideas:

1. Consider partnering with a couple of the larger hotels and convention centers on the Bay that facilitate corporate meetings. Many of those corporate meetings have team building exercises that are combined with outings. I am thinking of the Cambridge Hyatt, and possibly the Wye Island retreat, and even the Chesapeake Beach Hotel/Convention Center. Ocean City hosts a number of conventions every year. People get tired of the same old golf tournament, or deep sea fishing and want to do something different. What better way to build a team than to get 4 or 8 or 12 colleagues out in kayaks? Make it a competition in some way, and they can bring the keepers back to the hotel chef to prepare for the evening awards banquet.

Many people are just not into fishing period, but they may really enjoy a guided half day paddle. For these people, have a photo contest - or something to create a little competition.

2. Tandem kayaks would probably work best for this sort of thing for team building and competing against other teams.

3. The larger hotels and convention centers have full time concierges. Call them up and ask for a meeting. If the hotel allows it, giving them a 10% cut of your gross to the concierge could grease the skids. You'll need some brochures and a web site for starters, and liability insurance.

Just an idea.
          Last edited by Fishinfool; 10-10-2012, 11:11 AM.

Comment

Working...
          X