Need a new reel...thoughts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need a new reel...thoughts?

So my old Shimano Sedona 2500 crapped out on me this morning. Not my nicest or most expensive reel by far, but it was one of my favorites. I think I paid $30 for it at the Earleigh Heights fishing show about five years ago. Until the last few weeks it had always performed flawlessly. A few weeks back it started sounding a little rough so i hit everything with a good shot of Reel Magic. Reel Magic is right. Today it would cast just fine but took two hands to turn the crank. I tore it apart and it appears that the clutch bearing is shot. Anywho, since I'm going to have to replace it I thought I'd see what you guys like. I have mostly Shimano reels - Sahara, Symetre, a couple Tekotas, and a Cardiff (worst reel purchase of my collection). I also have an Avet that I absolutely love. So...I was looking at the Fin Nor Inshore. Anybody have one? Anything else I should look at? I'm trying not to get too crazy, so no VanStahls or Accurates or WAY high end Shimano, Diawa, etc. Let's stay in the 50-125 range for discussion purposes.
    LL Bean (Perception) Manatee DLX Angler 9.5'
    Hobie Pro Angler 12

Doug,
    Anglers had some Okuma Raw II reels on clearance. I picked up the 40 size and it is very nice for $86. It's an inshore saltwater reel. I'm not sure if they have any left but it would be worth a look.
    Attached Files
    Hobie PA 12

Comment

new to the market, but the penn spinfisher V looks like it could be promising.
      sigpic

Comment

Nearly all the reels in my arsenal are Shimano Stradics. They are far from the cheapest reels out there, but they perform very smoothly for years. I have them in 1000, 2000, 2500, 3000, and 4000 sizes from several of the series (designated by letter) going back nearly 20 years.

Some times it is possible to find the previous series at a reduced price or find a clearance sale.
        John Veil
        Annapolis
        Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Just to save you a trip, I picked up the last of the okuma raw ii at anglers Just couldn't pass up that deal. If you're looking got something that can perform those okuma reels aren't bad. Check out the cedros, I won it at cbka and it hasn't been a bad reel at all, slightly cheaper and has 22lbs of drag in the 40size

Comment

I use all Shimanos, and it sounds like you do also. My favorites are the symetres because of the self centering bail and the trigger. Those features were all the rage a few years back and now only symetres still have them. Bottom line, you don't have to buy the most expensive Shimano to have a really good reel.

Comment

I use Shimano Symetre for all my freshwater reels. The affordable Shimano's did not seem to hold up as well in saltwater. I use mostly Penn Battle's for saltwater. They are a decent reel for around $100.

Comment

If I didn't have a VS already I'd be trying that Spinfisher V. Penn makes great stuff. Looks like a great surf wading reel. really like my 2500 Saros. You really can't beatthe smooth retrieve of a Shimano.

Comment

If I didn't have a VS already I'd be trying that Spinfisher V. Penn makes great stuff. Looks like a great surf wading reel. really like my 2500 Saros. You really can't beat the smooth retrieve of a Shimano.

Comment

Thanks, guys. I may wait until the fishing show this year so I can get touchy feely with everything before buying anything. The Avet really put a hurtin' on them this morning...not to mention it looks pretty darn cool on a bass rod.
                    Hobie Pro Angler 12

Comment

Just as an aside Dsiekman, and you wouldn't have it for your first or even your second rod, but I've had great luck with a little two foot ultra lite they sell at Angler's called the Mighty Mite. It's great for going under piers, and fits easy near your lap if you're paddling and have two other rods in your holders. It's embarrassingly cheap at $13.99 and that's for the combo! I've caught more keeper perch with it than any other rod in the last two months, it's no toy. If anything, it's always good to have a spare rod in the car for that emergency cast or two. It fits under the seat and out of sight.

I lost a screw on the bail my last time out, and took it back to Angler's hoping they had the same size screw. The guy looked around in the back, came back 5 min. later with a brand new one combo, and said have fun. Can't beat Angler's for service.
                      Last edited by Fishinfool; 10-06-2012, 04:20 PM.

Comment

That does sound like fun! I've got a 5' microlite (I think) from Bass Pro. That rod has caught just about everything and is an absolute blast. Several years ago I got a 22" snook on it while visiting my in laws in Florida. Talk about a fight! I've toyed with the idea of building an ultralight from the top section of a fly rod. Very "whippy", but I'm guessing a whole lot of fun, too.
                        Hobie Pro Angler 12

Comment

Well, the two footer is so short that it cuts down on the bend, LOL. Only lost one big fish on it, must have been a rock, but never saw it. The thing is, you can't lose for the price, and if the creeks ever freeze over enough again; ice fishing anyone???

Comment

Penn battle is the best selling reel on the market right now, i get monthly updates at bass pro for high value reels, and across the country nothing has even come remotely close to the battle

few magazines has compared the battle to the shimano stella.. a 1000 dollar spinning reel. the battle goes for 99 to 119.

the 3000 which i use with 20lb braid has brought me in mannny large mouth, and rock fish. and the 3000 sports a 14lb drag.

its the smoothest salt water reel ive felt in a long time.

worth taking a look. its the reel deal
                            Zach Moore
                            Delaware Paddle Sports Fishing Team
                            Fishal Custom Baits Pro Staff
                            Bait Towel Pro Staff
                            2017 Hobie Pro Angler 12
                            YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSa...8WkC2WzHhAjVaQ

Comment

I don't have much to add, but I would avoid the purplish Shimano Saharas that are on sale everywhere. They are surprisingly crappy. They use a 2-piece bail design, which a throwback from the 1980s, that causes problems and eventually falls apart. Before I realized the flaw, I bought another one on sale. It started getting rough after being used once. Unfortunately, I don't think I have the receipt anymore, but they're still going back to the factory. I've been trying to buy used Symetres on eBay, but they've gone from being $30-40 used in good shape to $50-70. I guess the older, more robust models are in demand now since the penultimate batch has been crummy. I noticed the newest versions have redesigned bails, but I'm starting to lose my faith in Shimano.
                              Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
                              Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Working...
                              X