No announcement yet.

Another reason to wear your life vest.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another reason to wear your life vest.

I was talking to a friend today and he asked if I remembered meeting his neighbor, I said sure the one that fished all of the time right. Yep that's him, then he asked if I had heard the news. Nope what's up I said, well it turns out that 3 months after he retired he flipped his fishing kayak in Pohick Bay and drowned.

From what he heard the guy was sunk in the mud almost to his waist. NO life vest on. I can only assume a vest would have helped save his life. 58 years old in good shape in shallow water close to shore, still drowned. Just saying...

Lorton man drowns in Pohick Bay

By: InsideNoVA Staff | Inside NoVA
    Published: September 25, 2012
    Updated: September 25, 2012 - 7:09 PM
    ยป 0 Comments | Post a Comment
    LORTON, Va. --
    A Lorton man drowned after his kayak capsized in Pohick Bay Monday, Fairfax County police said.

Police said John R. Funk, 58, of the 10000 block of Midway Lane, was fishing in a kayak in Pohick Bay about 3:30 p.m. Monday when the kayak overturned about 100 yards from the shore.

Witnesses yelled to the man and ran for help, but he quickly disappeared under the water after starting to swim to shore, police said.

Police said the man was not wearing a personal flotation device and none was found in the kayak.
    Jim

Hobie Outback
    TKAA member
    Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers inc.

Everyone should believe in something... I believe I'll go fishing.

wow that's terrible and could have been prevented, PFDs cant save you if you don't wear them

Comment

Really sorry to hear about that. I get in the kayak without my pfd. I just don't trust myself that much. In addition, a good fishing pfd will hold a lot of crap! Mine carries my safety knife, strobe, whistle, forceps, clippers, my vhf, and I still have room for a handful of lures or a snack...just try not to mix up the lures and the snack.
      LL Bean (Perception) Manatee DLX Angler 9.5'
      Hobie Pro Angler 12

Comment

I wouldn't think of going out without it, especially with some of the rough waters I've been caught in. I use a Mustang PFD, very comfortable and light, with convenient pouches in the front I use to store my pliers, knife, stringer, and whistle.
        2010 Hobie Revolution 13

Comment

That's awful.

Here is another story... Southern Maryland guy drowned last Friday.

http://www.somdnews.com/article/2012...uthernMaryland

Man drowns after kayak overturns
          Victimโ€™s body found two hours after accident

A 30-year-old Charlotte Hall man drowned while fishing late Friday afternoon after his kayak overturned on Trinity Lake off Trinity Church Road in Allens Fresh, the Charles County Sheriffโ€™s Office reported.

Raymond Hostetler Yoder, 30, went underwater and did not resurface after his kayak overturned. He was not wearing a personal flotation device and authorities believe his drowning was accidental.
          <MIKE>
          Sunrise Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler
          Yellow Ocean Kayak Prowler 13 Angler

Comment

It shows you that no matter how young or fit you are, the water is far more powerful. I sometimes wear a life vest, but now I will always wear one.
            36 Ricky Scarborough custom Carolina sportfish
            20ft C-hawk
            14ft Malibu 2, 14ft Old Towne Otter

Comment

None of those fellow yakers planned to drown when they went out fishing and neither do we. I posted on here a while back on this issue. As a Firefighter and rescue diver, I've had more than my share of recoveries. Face it guys thats all they are is recoveries. No matter your swimming skills or youth, ACCIDENTS HAPPEN!!!! Always wear your PFD!!! Dogfish can speak to this from his ACCIDENT last year and I was on the shore when he came back. An experienced kayak fisherman adn friend too us all was nearly taken from us by a powerboater not paying attention. I saw the look on his face when he came ashore... Don't put your loved ones through your funeral before its time.
              Tom Brown
              Pro Staff: Balloon FisherKing, Catch 5 Baits, Century Rods, Smith Optics.
              2012 Hobie PA 14'
              Ocean Kayak Tident 13
              2012, 2014, 2015, CBKA Tournament 1st place Crab Div.

Comment

I always wear my pfd- this Spring I bought the Hobie inflatable PFD because it is a lot more comfortable to wear than my Hobie Stolquist yellow PFD that I have worn for the past two years, but regardless, I always wear a PFD- like going out naked- it is just too easy to be safe- I fish out of a very stable kayak- the 33 inch wide Hobie Outback, but even so- any kayak can flip in the right circumstances-
                "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Stuck in the mud,,, often wondered about that danger.
                  When we launch in the Patuxant in Lower Marlboro, it is all mud, no sand this far up.
                  When tide is low, you see the "mud bars" where it was 1-2' water a few hours ago.
                  We were pulling out at low tide one time and my 12 y.o. stepped out of his yak and was quickley knee deep,,
                  Got me thinking,, if you flip in that 1' of water and loose the yak,, you are done for if solo???

Slack
                  Captian of the plastic Navy
                  1 - Mad River Canoes
                  1- Tarpon 120
                  1- Redfish 10
                  1- Coosa HD
                  2- Cuda 12
                  1- Slayer Propel 10

http://reoservicesofmaryland.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Slackdaddy View Post
                    Stuck in the mud,,, often wondered about that danger.
                    When we launch in the Patuxant in Lower Marlboro, it is all mud, no sand this far up.
                    When tide is low, you see the "mud bars" where it was 1-2' water a few hours ago.
                    We were pulling out at low tide one time and my 12 y.o. stepped out of his yak and was quickley knee deep,,
                    Got me thinking,, if you flip in that 1' of water and loose the yak,, you are done for if solo???

Slack
                    It is my understanding that is exactly what happened. He lost his kayak and could get out of the mud.
                    I have stepped in some nasty mud and it scared me just how fast you can sink and it doesn't like to let go.
                    Jim

Hobie Outback
                    TKAA member
                    Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers inc.

Everyone should believe in something... I believe I'll go fishing.

Comment

The more you move, the more you sink in the stuff,,, not sure a PFD would have saved him.
                      Only holding onto the yak till "real" help arives would keep you alive IMHO

Slack
                      Captian of the plastic Navy
                      1 - Mad River Canoes
                      1- Tarpon 120
                      1- Redfish 10
                      1- Coosa HD
                      2- Cuda 12
                      1- Slayer Propel 10

http://reoservicesofmaryland.com/

Comment

Working...
                      X