Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thomas Point Light House... Where can I launch?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thomas Point Light House... Where can I launch?

Hi all,
    I want to try my luck out at the light house, but for the life of me I can't figure out where to launch. Are there any public ramps that I can launch from? I'm not trying to pay for a season pass for somewhere that I am only gonna launch from a couple of times a year. I e-mailed a Marina I found on Google maps, Holiday Point Marina... so I will see what they say.

Thanks,
    MYT

Thanks Southerly... I have heard that it stays crowded there... I just want to fish it! LOL. I own Rudow's book and refer to it often. I always look for fishy spots on the way out and in. I am hoping that a weekday launch will limit the crowds and the speed demons. I was just reading up on it and it looked like a cool place to try out. I plan on hitting the Bay Bridge too so if I don't find any suitable lauches on South River then BB it is!

Myt

Comment

I tried to reach it from Mayo, mid day. Not a great idea from there. Boat traffic coming out of the mouth of the South river never seemed to stop. Honestly as much as I wanted to get there, I turned around and went back to fishing the shoreline. It might have been just me, but I am not confortable in that much open water alone, others with me and I would have been fine. The distance was not the issue, it was the large boats hauling ass by me as if I wasn't there.

Comment

dont go to the light,its a waster of time. we always stop by there on the boat and only get dinks. fish the river with topwater. i would say launch at mayo beach or quiet waters. fish near darks with large poppers,goodluck

Comment

I have not had much trouble with boats in the channel of the South River. You do need to keep the rules of the road in mind. The one day I had a problem, and was run down, was back on the flat away from the channel. You need to be on the watch wherever you are. The South River and surrounding area has very limited launching opportunities. You can launch from the park itself, if you are willing to launch over rip-rap. I have checked it out myself.

Comment

I was eyeing the park Dogfish, but I just can't justify dropping the $$ on the monthly fee for just a launch or 2. If the marina says no, then I will just give up on South River and stick to the Severn and BB! LOL I hate to see a fishy spot and not being able to get to it.

Mango, I doubt it would be a launch I would brave alone for the reason you said. Being out in the open isn't all that fun by your lonesome. I always find it a little more comfortable when I have another set of eyes and ears looking out along with me!

Comment

I bought a spring/summer permit for Mayo beach but wouldn't do it again. I did fish the light on a rough day but didn't catch anything. It's a long paddle to get to the light and for that long of paddle there are other places I would rather fish. I'm also against giving the county $40 for a six month "permit" to use a park that I have never seen anyone in. Been to the park 4 times and fished out of there twice and never saw a person. It's strange that the county maintains the park but only opens it to groups and for cartop boats with a permit.

I wish the county would let you launch from all the county parks one one permit. Mayo beach is $40 for six months. Beverly beach requires a permit to use the park but it's not listed as a cartop launch site. Thomas point is the same. Quiet waters has daily pass or annual permit.

It would be a great if the county offered a package permit to cover all the county parks and let you launch at all of them as well as cover all the boat ramps for one permit at one price, county wide.

Comment

Correct me if I'm wrong, but there's a beach right before the Mayo beach park gates. You should be able to launch there since it's not in the park itself and not a private beach either. Also, I've launched a few times from private community beaches. Noone ever bothered me about it or seemed to care.
                2010 Hobie Revolution 13

Comment

there is not a single postage stamp of land that is not owned by someone. especially waterfront.

that particular spot is very much a privately-owned beach. unless someone tore the no trespassing signs and no parking signs down, it's pretty clearly marked as such.

now, some years ago, it was unmarked and a bunch of us use to windsurf there on south winds. there was always garbage from cars parking/partying there at nights. me and a couple other windsurfers use to clean it once in awhile but eventually owner had had enough and put chains up, posted no trespass and apparently got the county to put no parking signs along the street and step up on enforcement. overall - that neighborhood does not appreciate outsiders coming to break the law and will call cops as soon as a car stops.

fwiw - it was one of the windsurfers who worked quite hard to get the current cartop launch permit system in place or there would be no access at the park either. i would expect that if there's too much nonsense in that area, the neighbors will press to have that shut down once again.
                  Last edited by Southerly; 10-16-2012, 10:04 AM.

Comment

If you want to fish a similar area, the mouth of a river. You can launch at the small park off of Edgewood Road, in Annapolis. It is a bit of a paddle, but you can get out to the mouth of the Severn from there. All the rivers should now be producing good size fish from 18 to 26" common, with a few larger mixed in. Right at the mouth of Back Creek and the Severn is good fishing. There is a jetty there where a lot of folks fish. It may an area worth trying.
                    Last edited by DOGFISH; 10-16-2012, 06:11 PM.

Comment

Yeah I don't feel like getting into any spats with locals for using their beach! LOL I think I will just try my luck on the Severn Dogfish... I should be hitting it up sometime this week. Dinks I have had my share of so maybe I can get a keeper to hit!

Comment

Oh I know that one is good Southerly... I just don't know if I can justify dropping the cash for it if I won't fish there that often. I am gonna keep it in mind next season though.

Comment

Originally posted by Southerly View Post
                          there is not a single postage stamp of land that is not owned by someone. especially waterfront.

that particular spot is very much a privately-owned beach. unless someone tore the no trespassing signs and no parking signs down, it's pretty clearly marked as such.

now, some years ago, it was unmarked and a bunch of us use to windsurf there on south winds. there was always garbage from cars parking/partying there at nights. me and a couple other windsurfers use to clean it once in awhile but eventually owner had had enough and put chains up, posted no trespass and apparently got the county to put no parking signs along the street and step up on enforcement. overall - that neighborhood does not appreciate outsiders coming to break the law and will call cops as soon as a car stops.

fwiw - it was one of the windsurfers who worked quite hard to get the current cartop launch permit system in place or there would be no access at the park either. i would expect that if there's too much nonsense in that area, the neighbors will press to have that shut down once again.

Good to know... It's too bad idiots ruin it for the rest of us.
                          2010 Hobie Revolution 13

Comment

i can't say what was going on when it was dark, or not windy. but empty booze bottles and old condoms were not uncommon,....

dogfish might like this - hillsmere used to be a major WS spot too. completely illegit trespass across the community beach but it was not enforced for years and years. then community decided to crack down and one WS'r claimed it his right to access the water. he was arrested. it was the way he wanted it. he had full intentions of going to court with an attorney and providing evidence that the community had not enforced no trespassing and ws'rs were now grandfathered in for access. the community declined to prosecute but continued to enforce no trespassing and won out.

fwiw - back in 90's i was at white marsh mall looking at calendars at kiosk. one was a chesapeake calendar and there at april was a pic of 'windsurfing at hillsmere'. a local shop even did some lessons and rentals there for awhile.
                            Last edited by Southerly; 10-16-2012, 07:36 PM.

Comment

quiet waters is an option i believe, but a hike
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X