looking to buy first kayak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• looking to buy first kayak

Hey all, I'm a newb looking to buy my first kayak. I'm pretty new to both fishing and kayaking although I do have a little experience with both.

I'm down in Fredericksburg, VA and so at first, while I'm learning, I'll be using the kayak mostly to fish the reservoirs and lakes nearby Fredericksburg. I grew up on Kent Island and so once I get more comfortable with kayaking and a bit better at fishing, I'd eventually like to try some trips out in the bay. We also usually spend about a week down at Cape Henlopen DE each summer so also thinking to maybe kayak around the Delaware bay and out in the ocean.

As far as budget is concerned, I'm more interested in finding the best kayak for the job rather than saving money. I'd probably prefer to buy a bit higher quality kayak and possibly higher resale value....ideally something that will last a long time. But again, if I can find a deal on a nice model, maybe even used, that'd be even better.

Also, I have a pilot license and fly small Cessnas (not professionally, just for fun). Sometimes we fly down to outer banks or to Tangier island for day trips, and it'd be nice to be able to take a kayak on the plane. I've been reading up on Foldable kayaks. Does anyone have experience fishing out of folding kayaks? Are folding kayaks even a real option for fishing out in the bay? Or am I much better off looking at models from, say, Sea kayak and hobie?

Thanks much for any opinions/advice on where to start. Excited to get out there. And thanks much for all the great discussion on the forum, I've already learned a ton form the site.
    2012 Hobie Revo 13

Check out the Tackle Shop thread, Chimo has a nice Hobie Revo that I believe is still for sale. I use a Hobie Pro Angler and could not see myself in anything other than a Hobie. They allow you to be totally hands free in the yak and are top of the line in every aspect.
    Cliff Williams
    Hobie Pro Angler 14

Comment

Here is a link...

http://www.snaggedline.com/showthrea...vo-13-For-Sale
      Cliff Williams
      Hobie Pro Angler 14

Comment

Where do you fly out of? I fly out of College Park. I have (and love) an Ocean Kayak Torque...I wouldn't waste my time with a folding kayak to be used on any bodies of water bigger than a protected creek.
        <insert witty comment here>

Comment

Many of the guys upgrade to the Hobies. The model Depends on how you want to fish ......... I have Pro Anglers and I love em. They are the heaviest and most stable and have the most room with many features you won't get in any other yak. The fastest are the Revolutions and in between are the outbacks.

There are also some of the South African Yaks that are great but few if any dealers are in the USA ........ google South African Kayaks ........ they are mostly the Stealth, Pinnacle and Kaskazi and built for big seas

Comment

Its also very personal, hobies are awesome but I prefer to paddle over peddle and I am also a big guy so I tried a bunch out and settled on a malibu xfactor but would recommend any ocean kayak, native or wilderness and I definatly wouldnt go with a folder for big water
            D Hawk
            Green Malibu X-Factor stolen dream
            Sand Malibu X-Factor The replacement

Comment

Originally posted by Cliff View Post
              Cliff - Looks like a great deal and I was thinking about going used at first, thanks for the link.

Where do you fly out of? I fly out of College Park.
              MetroMan - Just took the family up to the Aviation Museum there at College Park and had a great time. I've never flown into college park, but might be nice challenge to brush up on my sfra skills. I usually fly out of Shannon (EZF).

There are also some of the South African Yaks
              Memory Maker - Awesome, I'll check out the south african options.

I prefer to paddle over peddle
              dhawk - Yeah, I was also thinking it might be fun/good to force myself to learn and get better at paddling first before going with peddles. I'll have to try them both like you said.

Thanks much for the feedback. So far, seems that folding kayaks are not the way to go (which I kind of expected) and hobie and ocean kayaks are the sure bets.
              2012 Hobie Revo 13

Comment

Originally posted by upgradingdave View Post
                MetroMan - Just took the family up to the Aviation Museum there at College Park and had a great time. I've never flown into college park, but might be nice challenge to brush up on my sfra skills. I usually fly out of Shannon (EZF).
                Cool! I work part time at College Park Airport on the weekends (FAA full time). I flew into EZF for my first time earlier this year..other times I've gone into RMN. Good to see another aviator on here.
                <insert witty comment here>

Comment

Originally posted by upgradingdave View Post
                  Hey all, I'm a newb looking to buy my first kayak. I'm pretty new to both fishing and kayaking although I do have a little experience with both.

I'm down in Fredericksburg, VA and so at first, while I'm learning, I'll be using the kayak mostly to fish the reservoirs and lakes nearby Fredericksburg. I grew up on Kent Island and so once I get more comfortable with kayaking and a bit better at fishing, I'd eventually like to try some trips out in the bay. We also usually spend about a week down at Cape Henlopen DE each summer so also thinking to maybe kayak around the Delaware bay and out in the ocean.

far as budget is concerned, I'm more interested in finding the best kayak for the job rather than saving money. I'd probably prefer to buy a bit higher quality kayak and possibly higher resale value....ideally something that will last a long time. But again, if I can find a deal on a nice model, maybe even used, that'd be even better.

Also, I have a pilot license and fly small Cessnas (not professionally, just for fun). Sometimes we fly down to outer banks or to Tangier island for day trips, and it'd be nice to be able to take a kayak on the plane. I've been reading up on Foldable kayaks. Does anyone have experience fishing out of folding kayaks? Are folding kayaks even a real option for fishing out in the bay? Or am I much better off looking at models from, say, Sea kayak and hobie?

Thanks much for any opinions/advice on where to start. Excited to get out there. And thanks much for all the great discussion on the forum, I've already learned a ton form the site.
                  Try this fine store in Salisbury, Survival Products. I have known the owner Suzanne Lucke-Turner for many years, and she is very knowledgeable about kayaks and the best one for you, especially if you are going for a sea going boat. Call and ask to speak with her. Here is their link for end of season sale on clearance boats:

http://www.survivalproducts.com/cate...7B47%7DCanoes/

Also, for ocean/fishing kayaks here is there current inventory. They may not be on clearance, but the important thing is to make the right decision the first time.http://www.survivalproducts.com/cate...ayaks/Fishing/

Good luck!

Comment

Working...
                  X