Anacostia River Trail

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anacostia River Trail

For those in the D.C. area that want a quick put-in (not necessarily to fish), there is a nice article in the Post today about the pending completion of the Anacostia River Water Trail. It's great to see that this once thriving river from by-gone generations is making a strong come back, thanks to the Anacostia River Keepers and a collection of non-profit and federal government money.

I've heard that there's carp, catfish and maybe a snakehead or two in the Anacostia. The urban fishing experience does not excite me personally, but the wildlife and bird watching does. The section of the Anacostia near Langston Golf Course is a real eye opener; a little oasis within the D.C. city limits that's loaded with
    Great Blue Herons, and other exotic bird life. Here's the link:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...rd-completion/

Who would want to go in a kayak if you weren't fishing???

Comment

great fishing there...I've launched at Bladensburg waterfront marina numerous times in the winter when I was testing my battery. I said I would launch there often this summer for quick trips, but that didnt happen lol. Besides, I like to bring home table fare, so...
      <insert witty comment here>

Comment

I hear you on the table fare part MetroMan. The Anacostia has come a long way, but still strictly catch and release, except for the snakeheads which should be not only killed, but gutted too to prevent any possible eggs from getting into the river, according to DNR, etc.

Comment

What's next, burn the carcasses so they don't turn into white walkers? WTF. Snakeheads rock.
          Used to fish more.

Comment

I was glad to see also that they are moving forward with this. At one time they weren't sure if they would be able connect the two trails because the Arboretum didn't want it cutting thru. Glad to see the river is getting more attention. It has definitely improved over the years but has a long way to go.

I been down there a lot since it is close to home and am always amazed at the pockets of wildlife you come across. I have seen decent fish pulled from there but at times the water quality is definitely something left to be desired. It is a nice paddle, just watch out for the crew teams in the morning. Half the time I don't think they look where they are going and seem to think they own the river.
            -Neil

Moken 13 Angler Deluxe

Comment

You ever notice the crew team's graffiti under the Amtrak & Route 50 bridges? lol
              <insert witty comment here>

Comment

Yep. They did a good job with that Cardinal.

If you are headed down river there is a nice hole right before the bridge on the left side worth trying. Considering how flat the river bottom usually is it is a nice feature.
                -Neil

Moken 13 Angler Deluxe

Comment

Working...
                X