Anyone kayak fish Unicorn Lake?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone kayak fish Unicorn Lake?

I don't recall reading any reports about MKF members fishing from their kayaks in Unicorn Lake. Unicorn is located about an hour away from the Bay Bridge up Rt 301 into the northern part of Maryland's eastern shore, near Millington. This is a 43-acre impoundment with a DNR fish hatchery and several rearing ponds on the property. http://www.dnr.state.md.us/fisheries...icornlake.html

I had to drive to Philadelphia this afternoon. Rather than taking the fast route up 95, I crossed the Bay Bridge and rode up quiet and peaceful Rt 301. I exited just past the Chester River, went a mile east to Millington, then headed south on 313 to Unicorn Lake. I had the place to myself today. There is a small ramp that allows easy access to the lake. I did not bring my kayak today since I had only 90 minutes to spend. I fished from the shoreline, so was limited to about 75 yds of access. Some of that area had floating grass mats near the shore that blocked my ability to cast. In my 90 minutes of fishing, I caught a pickerel of about 16" to 18", and 4 LMBs up to about 14". I had at least 10 other LMB hookups that did not stay connected all the way to the shore.

All fish were caught on a 1/8-oz jighead and a 2" Gulp minnow grub in chartreuse. I also threw out a small Bignose spinnerbait several dozen times, but did not catch any fish on that lure.

I was able to access only a tiny fraction of the lake. It looked to be excellent fish habitat, and because it is somewhat remote, it may not get as much fishing pressure as some other places.
    Attached Files
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

never heard of it but it sounds like you should get the yak wet

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
    Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
    Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
    Kokatat Pro Staff
    Torqeedo Pro Staff
    Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
    Alan

Comment

Those fish look nice and healthy. I wonder how big the bass get in there.
      Cliff Williams
      Hobie Pro Angler 14

Comment

I fished it back about 10 years ago used to hit quite a few lakes on the shore in my john boat unicorn held alot of small bass then never caught anything of size but always caught numbers good crappie and pickrall to
        D Hawk
        Green Malibu X-Factor stolen dream
        Sand Malibu X-Factor The replacement

Comment

I haven't fished there for 10 or more years. The biggest pickerel I ever caught, 27", came out of the lake on a Texas rigged weedless soft plastic minnow. There were also some of the biggest bluegills that i have ever seen in the pond. The weeds mats made canoeing a bit tricky.
          It is just a little too far from Columbia to make it worthwhile to fish there, often.
          There are several other ponds on the Eastern shore that are very productive, but I am too lazy to drive there, not when local ponds, the Potomac, Severn, and Susky are as productive and a good bit closer.

Comment

Yeah i fish alot closer to home now to i used to fish there greenboro- goldboro pond and the sand quarrys in federalsburg all thought i dont think federalsburg is open to fishing anymore they were all pretty good spots. I also caught a couple hawgs at a place called cokesbury pond but the last time i was there it was completly grown over in weeds
            D Hawk
            Green Malibu X-Factor stolen dream
            Sand Malibu X-Factor The replacement

Comment

Working...
            X