How to catch stripers 101

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to catch stripers 101

When trolling how fast would you troll? And what rig should you use? I trolled with the hi low rig with no sucess. I trolled at a medium tempo. Help please.

For Rockfish 2.5 - 3mph. 4" - 6" sassy shad or grub bodies (char or white) on tandem or single
    1/2oz swagbelly bucktails with a 1-2 oz inline sinker, 2-3' up the leader. Zig Zag across dropoffs
    and structure.
    Yep, that will do ya..
    GB

Comment

I've found that they like to hit when due to the erratic nature of paddling. Turn, zigzag, stop, start, etc. Try trolling past the ends of docks. I like to troll a bass assassin with the appropriate weight jig head for the depth of water I'm fishing - usually around 3/8-5/8 ounce. When I say troll past the end of docks, I mean rod tip almost touching the pilings. The fish seem to be hanging under the piers. And yes, when they hit they will run for the dock and tangle you up! It can turn into one giant cluster**** real fast.
      LL Bean (Perception) Manatee DLX Angler 9.5'
      Hobie Pro Angler 12

Comment

We'll talk more, PM me your number and I'll give you a ring tomorrow to talk about your trip. It def takes a lot of perserverance because sometimes they just shut off, period. I've witnessed this many times. There are hot times to be fishing and cold times. You don't have the confidence to trust what you are doing yet and that's a big part.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
        Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
        Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
        Kokatat Pro Staff
        Torqeedo Pro Staff
        Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
        Alan

Comment

For my comments, keep in mind that I use an electric motor. I have found 3.3 mph to be golden for me. I have caught fish at around 4 mph and as slow as 2.5. However, more than 3.5, I consider that fast. You need to remember trolling elicits a reaction strike. Nothing wrong with an erratic motion. You do need to keep things moving. One of the best slow troll rigs I know of for speed up and slow down kayak trolling is a bucktail with a live minnow. The minnow closes the deal, even for weary fish.

Anyone reading any of the posts that I have written, knows that I like to troll crankbaits. They do require some constant motion to keep the action going. Not to say that varied speed is bad. I don't like added weight in between the lure and the rod. I have trolled bucktails and other type trolling rigs, including tandem rigs. I always seem to come back to deep diving crankbaits. I like those that will dive to around 15'. It just seems to put the lure in the right range for the water I mostly troll. I do sometimes troll a lipless crankbait on the second rod. I like the Yo-Zuri Hardcore Drum, in painted shad or similar color. I fish the baits according to conditions and to what I am seeing on the FF. For the deep diving baits I like the Rapala lures, X-Rap and Glass Shad, in Glass Ghost colors. At times I also use Lucky Craft lures, Live Target lures and others. In the fall I use 2 3/4 to 4" baits. In the spring larger baits for the larger fish.

Hope some of this helps. Good Luck.

Comment

Everyone seems to have a magic speed, but it really all depends on the location and situation. I trolled up a bunch of Stripers recently doing 1.5-2 mph. I also have a trolling motor on my yak and GPS so the speed is relatively accurate. Focus on changes in depth and structure and you should find fish.
            Ryan
            Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
            Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

usually troll three or four rods- two Mann's Stretch 25's, a big Tony Spoon, and a big buck tail plastic eel combo- I set my trolling speed with the Tony spoon- I watch it's action until it is working just right then drop it back 150 or so feet, set it in the back rocket launcher holder behind me, then I set the two forward rods, one red/white stretch and one blue/silver stretch- then I drop the 1 oz, bucktail/eel back 150' or so- this is a setup for big rock- rarely do you ever get anything under 27 inches on these- It is my spring/late fall rigging in deep water
              "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
              2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
              "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
              Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Good to hear so many combos work.. I usually carry 3 rods. Generally I keep 1 rigged for whatever I'm casting (little jimmies bucktails have been my hot one this year), 1 rigged for bait fishing, and one unrigged and stowed. When underway, I have whatever I'm casting in troll mode. Like in a normal boat, this is adjusted according to depth, obstructions, etc. I've had rock hit pretty much anything and at a variety of speeds (like we have so many to choose from in a yak).
                Sometimes, if I'm not going to far, I leave my bottom rig out (usually a fishfinder with about 18-24" of leader) and have actually had them hit that too.
                I guess my point is, don't be afraid to mix stuff up.

Comment

Never underestimate the effect of conditions on these fish in particular. They are almost like a light switch in regards to current. Fish when the current is maxed and you max your odds. Fish at slack times and it will be slow regardless of your technique. Current+structure+water temp gives you the setup (80% of the battle in my opinion) and the other 20% is up to you. Jigging ha always been my preference because it's more engaging and u get more reaction strikes

Comment

how far should i drop the rig? 50 yards away? or 100 yards away?

Comment

I seem to have the best luck trolling either rattle traps or gator spoons. For me, speed has not been as important as location and water depth. Nearly all the fish I have caught trolling come in water depths of less than 20 feet. To get a bait down below about 15 feet either requires a lot more wight or to drop the bait way way back. With trolling spoons or swimming plugs I have had good luck holding one rod and jigging or popping the rod as I troll. The extra action has caught me a number of fish. Here is a good reference for distance, weight and depth.

http://www.striperfishingtackle.com/..._indicator.htm

Ron, trolling four rods is impressive. I have trolled three but most of the time two. Even with two its almost certain that I will get a hit and while landing the fish the current will drift me back over the other rod and it will, 99% of the time, find a way to wrap the rudder. There have been times that I was ready to dive in to unwrap braid from around it.

Comment

Four rods is impressive. Particularly with one rod being a Tony. Even with the lines at different depths the running lines are still close to the lures.

Comment

If I'm trolling crankbaits, only a cast's length away.
                          For mini umbrellas, about 1.5' for every foot of water I'm in up to 20'. For deeper water, you need to let out much more length or add more weight. At some point, letting out more line gets you very little in depth. I have developed curves for several of my lures, but at this point I know what I want to use.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                          Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                          Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                          Kokatat Pro Staff
                          Torqeedo Pro Staff
                          Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
                          Alan

Comment

Does trolling against the current or with the current make a difference in strikes?

Comment

Originally posted by dennyo View Post
                              Does trolling against the current or with the current make a difference in strikes?
                              Always go with the current since bait fish swim with the current and predator fish wait in ambush spots, where they know food will be brought in by current. The same principle applies on a drift, with a bottom fishing rig or jig. The current itself is carrying you and your bait slowly along.
                              2010 Hobie Revolution 13

Comment

Working...
                              X