20+ Tog

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 20+ Tog

Guys I just wanted to share my first tog catching experience. I say tog catching because my first tog fishing experience happened this past Spring for the first time and I had more snags then bites.

So for the second time in my life in trying to target tog we head up to Ocean City around 11pm on a Fri night(10/13). Arrived, parked and slept at the bait shop around 3am. Woke up at 6am and had a nice Royal Farms chicken biscuit...yummy.

We loaded up on green crabs and sand fleas and headed to our first destination, OC inlet.

Weapon of choice - 7 ft Teramar MH paired with Stradic 4000. 30lb braid main line and 50 lb mono rigs. (Thanks Rob Choi for the awesome "How-to" on your site)

My first fish was actually a Sheepshead which Ive never caught before either. It fell in the cracks of the rocks which was kind of disappointing because I wanted a pic. It was about 9-11 inches. Second fish was about a 14" tog.

To sum it up, from 7am to about 3pm we consistently caught tog on both baits from two locations in OC. I don't think their was a bait preference from the tog but crabs held on better. Between the two of us we caught about 40 + tog. They all ranged from about 8" to 15.95". No keepers, sadly.

I had some expectations of how the bite would be but had no idea tog fishing is so much fun. They literally attacked our bait as soon as we fell into the holes before hitting bottom. It was a very memorable fishing experience and my forearm paid for it.

This experience leads me to wonder:

Are tog this aggressive in the fall making them easier to catch? Are the bigger ones only accessible by boat or kayak? Keep in mind they raised the limit to 16" from 14" last yr. We would have def had some fish to take home. How much of a difference is it to fish from shore or yak when targeting tog. I know current can be an issue and trying to stay put. Are there less snags?
    Hobie Outback
    WS Tarpon
    IG: #liveyakfish

ILUV - without giving your spots away, can you say whether you were fishing at the bridge or in the inlet at the rocks?
    Keith
    2012 Hobie Pro Angler 14

Comment

Inlet rocks and bulkhead...no secrets!!
      Hobie Outback
      WS Tarpon

Comment

so you were fishing from shore?

Sounds like a great time. I love Tog fishing and I've only gone three times at Kiptopeke. Even the 12" ones pull hard. Might have to think about trying OC next time instead of the long drive to kipto. Blue crab is my favorite bait to use for tog, but I have not tried greed crab, is it similar? For blue crab you can get 4 baits out of one crab (or more if you want).

In my experience, it seems that Tog bite best surprisingly at slack tide, did you find this to be the case?
        Ryan
        Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
        Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Yes all from shore. Green crabs are a little smaller and maybe stinkier lol. We cut the legs and claws off and cut them into halves. In the Spring I saw a guy use "asian crabs" with very great success. Alltackle carries the green crabs.

When we fished the inlet, we fished the incoming high and most of high tide. This was important b/c the water is shallower over there. When we fished the bulkhead, the tide was starting to go back out and if I remember correctly we had the best action at slack. A lot easier to find the "holes". They are some awesome fighting fish pound for pound.
          Hobie Outback
          WS Tarpon

Comment

Great job man... My wife and I tried to Tog off the bulkhead with no luck. It was really windy but the Misses stuck in there... The Tog just didn't wanna cooperate.

While you were fishing the inlet was there still a lot of boat traffic coming and going? I've eyed up a couple of spots I wanna hit not too far off the beach but I would have to cross over the inlet to get to it. I didn't wanna take the trip if thr boats are still whipping through there.

Myt

Comment

There was a decent amount of boat traffic, not a lot. There were boats anchored up and working the second jetty.
              Hobie Outback
              WS Tarpon

Comment

As the water gets cooler, togs become more active. The big ones may be coming in and the bite will be on.

BTW, fishing reports from MD are posted in The Boatyard, not in the Main. Reports from VA go in Waters Beyond.
                2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

Working...
                X