coosa or slayer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• coosa or slayer

has anyone tried the new slayer yak from native yet? been looking at that one and the coosa. really like the slayer , how its layout is what i think would be perfect and the rails that run around the whole front of the yak. lots of good stuff on the coosa to , the rod keepers, and its cheaper than the slayer. any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Haven't used it but saw it at the TKAA tournament.... it looked pretty cool

But I owned a coosa previously and I did really like it

Comment

The slayer is a Coosa with no internal storage (no hatches), no rod holders, no etc.
      Kinda reminds me of a cheap big box store rip off of the coosa.

Slack
      Captian of the plastic Navy
      1 - Mad River Canoes
      1- Tarpon 120
      1- Redfish 10
      1- Coosa HD
      2- Cuda 12
      1- Slayer Propel 10

http://reoservicesofmaryland.com/

Comment

been doing sum research and i was kinda thinking the same thing. i like the coosa elite, it has sum cool features that i think would be nice to have. the strap that helps you stand, the drag anchor chain, and the storage. plus its 400 cheaper ! thanks guys.

Comment

Reviewed the Slayer online and wasn't overly impressed. Just to muddy the water, have you looked at the Cuda 12? It's going to be my next paddle / spare / shallow water yak. Jackson looks like they make some really nice products!

Comment

yup checked out the cuda 12 also. i like the coose elite. gona see if anything comes out before spring time. then gona do sum test paddles, probly several yaks. i have a manta ray 12 and a oc drifter and i like them both. but i want something that sits alittle higher and does not give me numb butt.

Comment

Originally posted by susqeyaker View Post
              i have a manta ray 12 and a oc drifter and i like them both. but i want something that sits alittle higher and does not give me numb butt.
              I here ya there, thats a big part of the reason I am looking at a Jackson Kayak as well. The seats, and ability to stand and fish / stretch has me sold. The center access "rod pod" like hatch and a hull that should track better and be more efficient paddling than the coosa is what is pushing me in the cuda's direction The shorter length and maneuverability of the coosa would be great at mattawoman, the ghost ships etc but I think the cuda is going to spend a good bit of time going through the surf as well. good luck in your search

Chimo

Comment

The boats seem similar. I rarely use the storage capacity inside my Coosa, but it does come in handy to stow rods during transport or for carrying a spare paddle.

I like the Slayer and I wonder if it would blow around less in the wind than the Coosa does?

The track system along the side rails of the kayak are something that I wish my Coosa had. It would simplify mounting rod holders and a fish finder.
                Last edited by DanMarino; 11-05-2012, 10:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by susqeyaker View Post
                  yup checked out the cuda 12 also. i like the coose elite. gona see if anything comes out before spring time. then gona do sum test paddles, probly several yaks. i have a manta ray 12 and a oc drifter and i like them both. but i want something that sits alittle higher and does not give me numb butt.
                  The older Manta Rays had a very comfortable seat, but it sat low to the floor. My new Manta Ray 14 has a thick padded seat (also very comfortable) in a wedge shape so that the front edge of the seat is raised 3" to 4" off the floor. The padded seat material continues up vertically on either side of the seat well and partially wraps over the gunwales. It does not have a metal frame that can be moved to more than one position like some of the Jackson Coosa boats, but I find it really great for a tall and heavy paddler. If you plan to stand up to fish, the Manta Ray is probably not a good choice. The new Manta Rays have gear tracks on each side plus a built in wheel at the stern keel so I can roll the kayak across hard surfaces without needing a cart.

I am supposed to pick up my new FF/GPS unit today from BOE Marine. After installing it, I will post photos of all the features.
                  John Veil
                  Annapolis
                  Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Working...
                  X