Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ocean kayak Torque or Hobie outback

What r some of your thougths ?

outback, its going to be faster, lighter, less maintenance, and is backed by hobie's awesome warranty. I owned a Torque and I went to a hobie.
    Interstate Kayak Fishing

Comment

+1 on Pinch's statement. The Tourque has a heavy and hard to reach and remove battery but the Hobie is all around a better deal and much more maneuverable. I don't even own a Hobie but have been around enough to know that you should Invest in the Hobie!!!! you wont be sorry.
      Tom Brown
      Pro Staff: Balloon FisherKing, Catch 5 Baits, Century Rods, Smith Optics.
      2012 Hobie PA 14'
      Ocean Kayak Tident 13
      2012, 2014, 2015, CBKA Tournament 1st place Crab Div.

Comment

Thank's for the info guys

Comment

I have a torque...going on about two years now. I made a few modifications to make it more suitable/convenient for me. Works perfect for my use. I wouldn't trade it for anything else.
          Last edited by MetroMan; 11-04-2012, 07:55 AM.
          <insert witty comment here>

Comment

I have a Hobie Outback with torqeedo motor. My first one was a used 2010 that developed a crack, but the Hobie warranty came through and I got a brand new 2012 kayak only paying for shipping. I think if you get a 2011 or newer Hobie and most of the 2010s, they have worked out all of the problems and they should not form cracks anymore.

Metro's torque is as good if not better then my outback with torqeedo because he gets a little bit more run time then me, but he built a custom lithium battery for his. So, unless you know how to build a custom battery, go with the outback and get yourself a torqeedo. Its expensive but you wont regret it. I got lucky and found the whole package for a killer price I couldnt pass up.
            Ryan
            Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
            Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Ryan's torqueedo is really fast, especially when combined with peddling. Last time we were out I couldn't help but laugh at how fast his yak moved.
              <insert witty comment here>

Comment

I own a Hobie Revo, and know allot of guys who own an Outback and three guys who own a OC Torgue. The Torgue is nice and has the added advantage of being able to go in reverse. On the downside,I agree with Pinch, if you get one, you should be mindfull of the maintenance and weight involved. The Outback is nice, it is lighter, and less mainentance. No need to fuel it up with electricity. Basically, less fuss. I am sure no one would disagree with that. Owning a Hobie vs an electric powered kayak is more of a personal choice. Think about what you want to do with your kayak, the kind of fishing location that you would visit, and the reason for kayaking. That may help you decide. For me, I chose a Hobie, because of the less complicated setup and things to go wrong. I also chose it for cardio workouts. So that was my particular circumstance.

Comment

It depends if you want some exercise while you're out there or not. While a motor would be nice, I prefer to get a little workout while I'm out there. It' helps justify spending a day fishing.
                  Consider this, one of the reasons I got rid of my boat for a kayak is because of the little maintenance required. I started with a paddle kayak which is almost zero maintenance. My outback requires a little maintenance because of the mirage drive. I've basically rebuilt it a couple of times for broken sprockets and masts. However, these fixes were relatively simple and inexpensive. Although I do not have a motor, I would imagine that it would be another step on the maintenance scale, and probably a little more costly. Of course that's the price you pay for the mechanical advantage, so it just comes down to what you want.

I think you'll be happy either way. There are lots of happy Outback owners out there and I'm pretty sure you'd have to pry the torque out of metro's cold dead hands.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                  Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                  Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                  Kokatat Pro Staff
                  Torqeedo Pro Staff
                  Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
                  Alan

Comment

Originally posted by Yak Fish View Post
                    It depends if you want some exercise while you're out there or not. While a motor would be nice, I prefer to get a little workout while I'm out there. It' helps justify spending a day fishing.
                    Consider this, one of the reasons I got rid of my boat for a kayak is because of the little maintenance required. I started with a paddle kayak which is almost zero maintenance. My outback requires a little maintenance because of the mirage drive. I've basically rebuilt it a couple of times for broken sprockets and masts. However, these fixes were relatively simple and inexpensive. Although I do not have a motor, I would imagine that it would be another step on the maintenance scale, and probably a little more costly. Of course that's the price you pay for the mechanical advantage, so it just comes down to what you want.

I think you'll be happy either way. There are lots of happy Outback owners out there and I'm pretty sure you'd have to pry the torque out of metro's cold dead hands.
                    My thoughts exactly....well said. It comes down to a personal choice.

Comment

Thanks guys for the input, decided to go with the outback ,know I just have to find a place to hide it from the wife lol.

Comment

What color did you decide on? The 2013 model?

Comment

Got to go with yellow.

Comment

Working...
                          X