Think this will work?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Think this will work?

I am looking to use my kayak on the patomac this year duck hunting. We hunt in a fairly slow area around islands, so the current shouldn't be an issue. My Malibu is the stone color and I am looking for ideas on camo-ing it. The best I can come up with so far is to use camowraps(or similar products like http://www.camoclad.com/Camouflage-Boat-Kits.php or http://www.cabelas.com/product/CamoW...AL%3BIK-420220). I figured I would get two of the 4x5 sheets and it would hopefully be enough. Just wondered if anyone else has done this or thought about it? Any issues with it sticking you think?? any other ideas?
    Last edited by yakersaltlife; 11-06-2012, 09:11 AM.
    Keith
    2012 Hobie Pro Angler 14

http://www.kayakbassfishing.com/kbfB...?f=131&t=20289

Check out this thread on KBF...

Keith are you still gonna be in Charleston around the 17th-18th? It's looking like I will be in Charleston on the 17th if the trip stays on schedule.

Comment

I had seen that before matt, but thanks. I will be in chucktown the 24-27th, so if your still there, pm me and we can hook up.
      Keith
      2012 Hobie Pro Angler 14

Comment

Hey, that is my commander on KBF, if you got any questions.

Throwing my opion out there. Camo clad on a kayak will hold up, but if fishing a river, dragging it, banging on rocks and sticks might scratch off. I also don't know how shiny it is. Make a blind and you can hide your earth tone kayak easy. Greg and I hide a guy in sot tied between us one time and put a ghillie poncho over the SOT.

I sanded and painted a cheap Sink as shown below. I added bungee around the edges to clip raffia bundles to it. It works but found out the bungee snags up some fishing hooks. Painting chips and needs touching up to be a nice looking yak all the time.
        "If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing." ... or you're just doing it wrong.

My Blog "Confessions of a fisherman, hunter and tinkerer"

Comment

Well is at least says that its not shiny, but who knows. My bigger thought is that i might want to buy an olive ascend for 200 more then buying the camo pattern. Still just looking for decent options. I really dont want to paint, to keep the kayak for resale value.
          Keith
          2012 Hobie Pro Angler 14

Comment

I would advice against paint on any good kayak. It chips off even when sanded good. Make a blind for it and if you plan to hunt in the kayak keep the raffia or blind material out of the water. My buddy fluffed his up in the early season and it created a whole bunch of drag trying to pick up downed birds. A earth tone kayak with a blind and 1" to 2" of space between the water and blind are not noticeable. Birds are usually elevated pretty good making the space even less noticeable.
            "If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing." ... or you're just doing it wrong.

My Blog "Confessions of a fisherman, hunter and tinkerer"

Comment

This is slightly off topic but might give some ideas to someone. Last week I attended an oil and gas conference in Denver. There were various vendors in the exhibition hall. Two of the vendors sold very hard and impervious coatings that can be applied to substances to protect them. Their primary application was for coating storage tanks, pipes, and valves to help protect against corrosion and leaks. I talked to both of them about whether they had ever tried applying the material to kayaks. One of the companies said that his product was being used by some of the whitewater kayakers in Colorado to give abrasion resistance to the hulls that bang against rocks.

I recall last year several of our members applied various stick-on strips of resistant materials to bump-likely areas of their kayaks. Their may be opportunities to purchase a durable coating material that could be brushed or rolled onto either selected portions of the hull or the entire hull of a kayak. I leave this research to the more adventuresome members of our group.
              John Veil
              Annapolis
              Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Put us in touch with your source, John- having a highly abrasive resistant coating that adheres to high linear poly is a huge step forward in coatings- poly is like teflon- nothing sticks to it but fish slime, blood, dirt and pond scum- oh, yeah- and Smelly Jelly (ask me how I know about Smelly Jelly)
                "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Originally posted by ronaultmtd View Post
                  Put us in touch with your source, John- having a highly abrasive resistant coating that adheres to high linear poly is a huge step forward in coatings- poly is like teflon- nothing sticks to it but fish slime, blood, dirt and pond scum-
                  The two companies I talked to at the conference are:

Custom Linings www.customlinings.com (this is the company that said they had tested their material on a few kayaks)
                  Falcon Technologies www.carboceramics.com/Falcon-Liner/

Neither company is heavy into the kayak coating market. But with some persistence, someone might talk them into a sample of coating material to test out. I am not interested myself, but pass this on to be thought-provoking.
                  John Veil
                  Annapolis
                  Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Thanks, John- I would think the Kipto crew would jump on this like a duck on a June Bug
                    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Working...
                    X