No announcement yet.

Jamaica Bay Kayak Fishing Tournament 2011

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maybe I will join you guys next year. Don't forget about the other tournament in VA Beach, on Sept 25th with TKAA. Always a fun time there too. It will be good to have a large Maryland/Northern VA/Washington DC delegation down there this year. Registration is open now. Finally, the is a first Annual Tournament in the area off of Kent Island on Sept 10th. http://www.cbkainc.com is putting it on. See their website for more information.

Comment

Good luck you guys, my boss' sister passed away early this morning and I need to stick around town to take care of shop while he is away. He is more of a friend then a boss to me and I think keeping the people from work hounding him is the best thing I can do right now.

TJ

Comment

TJ- Sorry to hear man, sounds like you're making the right call. I hope for the best with your boss's family.

If you want I can grab your shirt and raffle ticket. If you win something I'll bring it back for you.
        Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
        Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
        https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

Thanks Michael, it was a very tough decision, thanks for backing me on it. If you dont mind grabbing that stuff that would be very awesome, I doubt they will give up my Captains Bag since I won't be registering in person, but maybe if I email the guys they will understand. Send me a PM or txt if you need any info, really appreciate it and I hope you kill em !
          TJ

Comment

Camp MKF/CBKA

Returned home early for a family obligation. Don't have a picture of a fish but thought I would post a picture of camp "MKF/CBKA"

Redfish12 caught a nice fat 32" blue this morning, may be in the running for a prize. Fishing was hit and miss but it was nice to see some nice big blues, understand they used to catch them that size in the Chesapeake.

There were over 300 kayakers this morning.
            Attached Files

Comment

How did the final results tally up?

Comment

Just got back, put all the gear up, got my first shower since Wednesday, and hung the tent to dry...

This year's tournament was great!!! I'll be brief on here tonight but the winning fish was a 42" rock and it was caught on a tube and worm. Our group fished hard but didn't make it to the leader board. I got a 32" rock and a big blue and spent the rest of the days hoping for a weakfish so I could get the slam. I picked up some other fish over the weekend and so did everyone else, full report tomorrow- I'm beat!

Oh yeah almost forgot... My girlfriend won a new KAYAK!!!! It's a Native Ultimate 14.5 multisport... and I have Mullet Miller and Yak Mike to thank for getting it back to MD for me. Funny story about that one, but I'll let Mullet fill you guys in on that! (THANKS AGAIN GUYS!!!) I also got an award for recruiting the most people to come to the event, so thanks again for everyone that came this year, hopefully we'll get more MKF guys up there next year!

Last edited by Redfish12; 05-16-2011, 11:50 AM. Reason: Added Photo

Comment

I'll post up more later, but the kayak made it to Maryland with no troubles!

Glad you guy's all made it and got into some fish, definitely was a slow pick and numbers were down from the past couple years.

Comment

This event is GREAT! Had a terrific time and will make it an annual trek. "Home waters" for me so very enjoyable. Only downer was my wife was not feeling very well. She got sunburned at Assateague last week and it took a lot out of her. She perked towards the end but we bugged out ahead of the rain. You young guys have the gift of youth and can tolerate packing up wet stuff. Just didn't want to deal with packing up while it was raining or with wet equipment. Small craft advisory on Sunday so I knew the tournament fishing would be canceled.

As for fishing, I caught bluefish. A couple in the 20-22" range but also one of those ocean run killers that are all head. These are spring post spawn fish there to fatten up. Mine went about 30". Didn't get a pic as this fish was NOT cooperative nor very happy around my kayak. I also pickup up a small fluke. No bass for me. All my fish were on a white bucktail tipped with a white Gulp minnow.

Congrats to Sam on winning a kayak! That Native looked like a real nice kayak. Awesome! And thanks to Michael for encouraging participation. He was right, it was a blast. Congrats on that recruiting award, Michael! Well deserved.

Nice meeting you, Mullet Miller. Hope to see you again soon. Maybe we can fish together sometime. I know North Jersey waters some. Maybe we can arrange an outing for whoever wants to go and you can show us what South Jersey is all about!

TJ, I have your Captain's Bag. Email or pm me and I'll make arrangements to get it to you. Sorry again you couldn't make it. Put it on your calendar for next year.

Matt, I told a couple Jersey guys about your kayak shop. They are coming down to Chincoteague soon. I passed them your contact info. I know you'll point them in the right direction.

Will post a few pics when I get them uploaded from the camera. Did I mention this was a GREAT event? Well worth it.

And for whoever's interested, this was also the maiden voyage with my Humminbird 798ci side imaging FF. I used the wet well method and it worked great! Don't let 'em tell ya the SI 'ducer won't work through the hull. It does.

John

Comment

congrats Michael! looks like everyone had a great time

Comment

Good meeting you guys up there. Fishing was a little tough this year, but it's all about getting together and having a good time. Congrats on the new kayak. That is awesome.

Comment

Sorry to hear about the tough fishing, but congrats to your lady friend on the new yak.
                          Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
                          Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Thanks! I'm not sure what to do with the thing but we'll figure something out. We may put a trolling motor on it bc I hear the propel drive is terrible.

I'll put up a full report when I get the pictures back... for now here's a shot of one of the rock I picked up on Thursday.

http://youtu.be/Q7s4qENvD08
                            Last edited by Redfish12; 05-17-2011, 11:35 AM.

Comment

very nice catch, the water looks like it might have some Hudson river white fish, i kept looking for one to float by
                              saw a good tip on the kayakfishing show, using a scotty visipole and hero camera, mount pole behind seat and use their handle bar mount to mount the camera with in reach to turn it on and off

Comment

Sweet win Redfish! I am definitely gonna try to get up there next year!

MYT

Comment

Working...
                                X