Where to launch for fall stripers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where to launch for fall stripers

I'm hoping to fish for some stripers from my Yak but have no idea where to launch or if its is even possible this time of year. Any pointers would be appreciated. Thanks!

For now the big fish are all in the lower bay with a few random exceptions, Lusby MD area and south of there. Should be moving up midbay in the next week or 2

Comment

Originally posted by FRED driver View Post
      For now the big fish are all in the lower bay with a few random exceptions, Lusby MD area and south of there. Should be moving up midbay in the next week or 2
      I understand the big fish coming up the bay in the spring for spawning, but why are they heading north now? Are they heading out the C&D canal to the ocean?

Comment

They come back into the bay to feed before winter and then some move back out and some winter over here...all will come back in the spring to spawn

Comment

lot of them come thru the C&D Canal on their way south ........... every year there are some big fish that are caught in the upper bay in late Oct to mid to the end of November .......... some can be caught out of Hart Miller Island and directly across the bay but it is hit and miss ........ the holes off of Pooles Island using eels can be good ....... every year the Tournament between the UBBB and the SRRC is won by a 34 - 35 inch striper caught bu UBBB ( hmmm) caught in the upper bay .......... places you might try are Hart Miller Island cut in the evening to about dark, the Rock Hall Area in the bay by the shipping channels ....... look for schools ...... then try the shallows by the shore ......

Right now the stripers are on the fall feed so they are chasing bait ......... best fishing is Pt Lookout and south but you can catch in the upper bay too if you work for them ........

Comment

Thanks for the tips. I've seen yakkers out at the Hart Miller but I figured they must be locals. The closest launch I know of is Rocky Point and that's quite a paddle though some big water. That's a little further than I want to paddle given the low air/water temps.

Does it make sense to work the rock piles at the bay bridge by SP this time of year?

Comment

Working...
            X